Got the time, but can't load the program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the time, but can't load the program

Hi all, I posted the following message on the other forums and thought I would try here. Thank you all for any help.

Good morning everyone, I hope all is well and you members are staying safe.

My old iMAC (13 years old) went belly up about 2 weeks ago so I treated myself to a new one with a 24 inch screen...unbelievable, how much better the new technology is. Any way, since we have nothing to do and unlimited time to do it, I thought that I would try to learn something about inkscape, to my dismay, I found out that the program will not work on macOS Catalina, version 10.15.4, so I didn't take a chance and I did not download it.

Is anyone using inkscape with this new Apple release???

If so, could you please share any information about the program so I can put it on my new machine and maybe someday ditch the pencil and eraser. Thanks for any help.

BE WELL to all.
    Rick
    Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Good luck Rick. Wish I could help but I am an IBM Pc person.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Rick,

I did a quick bit of research, and discovered that if you look on the Inkscape forum, you'll find discussions of problems downloading Inkscape with OS Catalina. There is apparently a beta version that will work, as well as some workarounds for problems that pop up.

Older Mac OS systems required downloading XQuartz before Inkscape would load, but that doesn't seem to be the case with Catalina. I thought that might be your problem, but it isn't. However, if you do a search of the problem with Catalina, you're likely to find a way to get Inkscape up and running.

Good luck!
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you NC and Carole for your attempt to help me.

NC, I did the IBM thing for 31 years here in the beautiful Hudson Valley, worked in 701 on Boardman Rd for 21 years.

Carole, we were out in Pawling about 3 weeks ago at the Motor Vehicle Office, awful experience, when we finally got done with our buso=iness and left, I was you and I'm asuming your husband out for a walk. I was going to roll down the window and shout out a hello, but I figured you probably would have wondered what time I had to be back at the HOME
        Rick

Comment

That's too funny, Rick. Joe and I walk daily, and our route takes us through town. Sorry you didn't shout out a hello--people do that here all the time, and I don't think I've seen a fellow scroller since the last Open House in 2016.

Any luck with Inkscape?
          Carole

Comment

Originally posted by theframer View Post
            Thank you NC and Carole for your attempt to help me.

NC, I did the IBM thing for 31 years here in the beautiful Hudson Valley, worked in 701 on Boardman Rd for 21 years.

Carole, we were out in Pawling about 3 weeks ago at the Motor Vehicle Office, awful experience, when we finally got done with our buso=iness and left, I was you and I'm asuming your husband out for a walk. I was going to roll down the window and shout out a hello, but I figured you probably would have wondered what time I had to be back at the HOME
            IBM East Fishkill from 1977-1993. Grew up near the Dutchess County airport. Lived my working life in LaGrange. Worked in building 330, 300,and 617. Transferred to Raleigh in 1993. Packed it in at the end of 2014.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Carole, Ann Marie used to go to a quilting store out in Pawling,The Quilt Basket, it has since moved to somewhere in Wappinger. No luck with inkscape yet, one of my cousins is going to dig out an old iMac that he has and we're going to try that, I'm a little leary of putting a BETA version of anyhting on a new computer.

NC, we lived over on New Hackansack Rd for a while after we were married. I was transfered to Fishkill and was part of the engineering group that built the diffusion line in Bldg 320. I am not an engineer, I was a lab tech at the time and IBM was throwing bodies at the job just to get the line up & running. The site is no longer owned by IBM, in fact, there is a Craft Brewery on site.

Sorry for going off post.
              Rick

Comment

Rick, we live about 1/2 mile from where the quilting store used to be. I’m not a quilter, but I bought a white quilting pencil from them for making thinner lines on dark wood than I could with my regular white pencil. It was a suggestion made by someone in one of my classes at a Fox Chapel Open House, whose wife was a quilter.

Good luck with Inkscape on the older iMac. It’s likely you’ll need to download XQuartz as well, but that shouldn’t be a problem.
                Carole

Comment

I hadn't launched inkscape since the OS upgrade, but sure enough, when I went in to check it out, got a message indicating an upgrade required from the vendor, I'll let you know if I have any luck.
                  "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Ok, I think Carol is correct on the beta thing: I downloaded from here, and it worked for me: https://inkscape.org/release/inkscap.../1010-1015/dl/

It is beta, but beta is better than nothing. It does seem to launch slowly, maybe some of that debugging stuff is turned on.

You should not need XQuartz, here is thier comment on this: "Inkscape is now a first-rate native macOS application, and no longer requires XQuartz to operate."

So, I deleted XQuartz, and relaunched Inkscape with no issues.

So good start to a day, fixed a problem this morning I didn't know I had!
                    Last edited by hotshot; 04-02-2020, 07:37 AM.
                    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Thank you Randy and Carole. I have never downloaded nor used a BETA program, but as we all know, what could possibly happen???
                      I will try the process from the link you provided, if you don't hear from me by next week, I'll probably be at the APPLE Store in Danbury orin the hooskou for shooting my iMac.

To all our froum members...BE SAFE and BE WELL
                      Rick

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                        Reply to Maple tree
                        by will8989
                        Sadly, after I get what I want the rest will be next winters firewood for my son. I might even convince Bruce to take 2 logs to the sawmill he volunteers at and slice some. Hmmm.
                        Yesterday, 07:02 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Need suggestions for Samantha’s basket
                        by will8989
                        Well, you read my mind! I’m going to make the happy birthday out of a piece of thin wood and paint it her favorite color using the sparkling green unicorn spit. Mainly because if I mess it up I won’t ruin the basket. Sam is turning 11 and I don’t think the happy birthday will bother her. But it’s...
                        Yesterday, 06:55 PM
                      • markdavd
                        by markdavd
                        That looks like it will be beautiful when done!
                        What finish are you using? I have success with a spray glue if it is not an oil based finish.

One suggestion I've done is instead of cutting the Happy Birthday as part of the main piece, cut it from thin / contrasting wood and make it...
                        Yesterday, 11:58 AM
                      • jim_mex
                        Reply to A question for any clock makers ref. clock parts
                        by jim_mex
                        Thanks guys - both sites seem to have a much broader catalog range than clockparts.com and i am sure I'll find what I need from one of them.

Appreciate the help ...
                        Yesterday, 10:21 AM
                      • Rolf
                        by Rolf
                        Hot glue should work...
                        Yesterday, 08:16 AM
                      Working...
                      X