Scrolling brass letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrolling brass letters

Anyone have advise on cleaning up the roughness from cutting brass letters out of .032 hobby brass sheet?
    Cutting on it for the first time and it's not too bad to work with.

Go to auto parts store and get a "points file". It's what we used to use to file pits out of contact points in the distributors. Very fine teeth.
    I would make sure the court is very flat on a substrate before filing. That thin could fold easily.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I would sandwich the brass between two piece of 1/8" plywood and then cut with a very fine reverse tooth bladed (2/0, #1, or even a FD puzzle blade). If you do this method you should not have any rough ends to worry about.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have a set of jewelers files. You could also glue a some 300 grit wet dry paper to a thin piece of wood.
        Jim never thought of the points file, great idea! I still have a couple somewhere from my old analog electronics work polishing relay contacts.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thank all,
          All great ideas. I did cut between two sheets of 1/8" ply, cut with a 2/0 jewelers blade. Zona is the name of the blade, never heard of them before but they were right there next to the brass sheets so I gave them a shot. They work well. The drill bits left a bigger burr than the blades. I'll have to find a fine file. Think I have one out in the shop.
          brass lettters.jpg

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X