best contact cement for applying patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best contact cement for applying patterns

lately i have been using the blue tape on the wood and then using contact cement to fix the pattern to the blue tape while expensive it works well, anyone have a preference to the brand of contact cement they use?

3m 77, or not as sticky 45, both work great, RJ
    Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

I also like the 3m 77. Dries fast. Not as sticky. Really economical price for a large can at Lowe's.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I used plain old ordinary white glue (like the white glue you used for school projects) over the blue tape. I been doing it this way for about 8 or 9 years with no problems except getting it on my fingers from time to time. It works well for me. Spray glues don't work for me there is always overspray to deal with and it doesn't clean up with water very well.

Comment

I occasionally use the spry glue 3m 77 the best I have used. But most of the time I use a Xyron machine. A bit pricey but no smells.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I use 3" packing tape on a big roll with a dispenser handle instead of painters tape.

Comment

When I first began scrolling I used the spray adhesive. After many frustrating attempts where I got part way through and pattern and it would lift off with lots of unusable scrape wood, I tried using the Xyron and never looked back. Yes it is more expensive, however when you factor in the cost of wood with the Xyron costs, I feel the cost becomes a less of an issue
              cwmagee
              aka Fibber
              Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

What Fibber and Rolf said 👍
                Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I print on full sheet label paper purchased from Sloan’s, but they closed. I still have a supply, but looked at Amazon as a source.
                  Denny
                  ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

3M77 is my go to spray. When the top gets clogged, drop the nozzle in some thinner.
                    Jim
                    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

What model xyron do you all have, Thx RJ
                      Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

I actually have two of them the 9 inch and the 5 inch. The model names have changed. And always use a coupon when buying refills.
                        Blondwood be careful if you are putting packing tape directly to the wood. It is very easy to miss a tiny piece when removing it and screwing up your finish.

On my last Intarsia project I had a lot of small pieces that were after thoughts or repairs and I just used the plain old rubber cement on the back of the pattern piece.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have switched from blue tape to contact paper and the Xyron. I guarantee there will be no lifting of the pattern with this combination. Make sure your pattern is exactly where you want it before applying as it doesn’t reposition easily. The contact paper comes off so easy after cutting. I get my contact paper from big lots with a 20% discount and my $5 off $15 combined. Last time I got 4 rolls for $11. I used to get the xyron paper at ac Moore with 60% coupon. Michals sent out an application mail they will be giving 60% coupons if you sign up.
                          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X