Trivets finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivets finish

What is the preferred finish for trivets? They will get hot pots.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

I would sand a fine as you have paper, no less then 400 finer is available and then use mineral oil.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Yep. What Scott said. That's all I use for trivets and cutting boards. For cutting boards, I use straight mineral oil and rotate the boards as they are drying. Takes about a week to dry to touch, than longer to cure. For the trivets I use 50/50 mineral oil and mineral spirits as the drying agent. Takes about a 1-2 weeks to cure depending on wood used. Speaking of mineral oil, has anyone used that awful "green" mineral oil. Hate it. Doesn't clean up as well and leaves a greasy feel on my hands. Will have to find another way to finish baskets when I run out of the original mineral spirits. Just my opinion.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I Have used clear/natural Watco oil successfully on red oak. I have one I made for my wife several years ago and it still looks good. You do want to let it dry for a couple of weeks before using.
        Virgil

Comment

Virgil brings up something. Know your wood. I would not use mineral oil on open grain woods like red oak.
          Scott

Comment

I do not claim to know my wood.
            Watco oil is what I had on hand and I used it successfully, and have done so many times since with red oak..

Virgil

Comment

Originally posted by vgraf View Post
              I do not claim to know my wood.
              Watco oil is what I had on hand and I used it successfully, and have done so many times since with red oak..

Virgil
              You did it correctly😀. Watco Oil is a finish and it dries and hardens. Mineral Oil is pure oil and does not dry or harden.
              Scott

Comment

Someone, here or at the woodworkers group, suggested mineral oil and paraffin. Heat the paraffin until it melts then remove it from the heat and mix in a near equal amount of the oil. I put it in a cleaned pickle jar and used that. I had to mix it again a few times before it finally ran out but that is what I used on anything that would be near food.
                Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                Desert Woodcrafters
                Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Making your own wax and oil finish.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5EC3&FORM=VIRE
                  Scott

Comment

When Bruce made cutting boards, he would give customers a small container of bees wax and mineral oil he mixed for them to dress the boards when needed. We buy our bees wax locally.
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X