My first craft show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first craft show

Our home owners association, (4985 homes about 20 miles east of Palm Springs), sponsors two craft shows yearly. One in Nov and one in March. Each is two days long. If you wish to participate you can get a 6' table space for each of the shows for a total of $10 annually. A six foot table is a little restricted so I built a display frame from PVC from which to display most of the ornaments.

I had around 80 flat ornaments, (sold around 40), 26 of the mini bird house ornaments, (Sold all but six). Also a mix of other items, (see the attached photos). Most of the items were Christmas oriented. The Merry Christmas Plaque was the highest priced item and it sold late on the last day. We had decided by that time that if it didn't sell we had a great place in out home for it. Oh Well!

Had a fantastic sale. Now am trying to figure what to make for the spring sale. I would appreciate any suggestions, especially items selling $10 and under. This is a 55+ community so toys probably will not get too much of a response.

Virgil

By the way, you have to be a home owner to participate.

Comment

Nice work crafted there Virgil. Like your ornament display. Congratulations on the sales. For Spring ideas, think flowers, Easter, baskets, bunnies, eggs perhaps. While they may be 55 plus, some will have grandkids and are often looking for items for them so might be worth making a few things for kids and seeing if there is any interest. I suspect many of those ornaments you sold were bought to gift to family.
      Melanie from East TN

Comment

Glad you had a good time and that you sold a bunch of items. You have some very nice work. I really like the Merry Christmas plaque, who's design is it?

I agree with Melanie about the spring items.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Like the idea for the ornaments and birdhouses. I need to go up as I am cramped this time of year with 20’ of table space.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thanks for the spring suggestions. I will probably make more mini-bird houses since they were the single most items that attracted attention. There are a lot of "snow birds" that do not come down here until after the holidays and might want to buy something for next year.

Rolf
            The Merry Christmas pattern is a Steve Good design. The original pattern had color in the center section only. I modified it by cutting a full size backer at the same time as I cut the perimeter of the front layer. After carefully lining up the front and back layers I then lightly penciled the outline of the leaves and berries on the backer. Then I separated the layers and using craft paints colored in the green, red and brown areas. The painting took over two hours. Glued everything together and painted the glued edge dark brown. Sold for $40. Since I cut two of the design layers at the same time, it cut down my production time some. The other plaque went to charity auction.

Comment

Melanie,
              I also have thought about cutting a variety of easy children's puzzles. Particularly animal puzzles. They do not take long and can be a great grandparent gift.

Comment

Nice looking projects Virgil! Good job.

Another idea might be the gift card holders. A number of people have made them and sold well.

Karl
                Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Karl
                  I am not sure what you mean by "gift card holders". could you send me a pic?
                  Thanks

Comment

Here are some links on this forum:

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/...g-off-my-setup

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/...ow-in-progress

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/...t-card-holders

The first two show images and the third is good information.

Karl

Comment

Do you use a table saw to cut the strips? If so, what is a safe way to do this?
                      They seem quite narrow.

Comment

Where did you get the pattern for the Christmas with the star in the C?
                        Keith

Comment

Martzy
                          I believe it was two or three years ago in the Scroll saw (SSWC) magazine winter edition.
                          You have to very careful of the last "S". The bottom curve is a little thin and can be weak, and breaks easily. I think I modified the last one I made by making the curve a little thicker and less susceptible to breakage.

The following year they published a similar design with a star in the middle of the O of, "O'Holy NIght". Very nice. I just did not have time to get a couple of them cut and finished for this sale.

Comment

Virgil,

Here is a link to Steve Good's version: http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.co...de-wooden.html

Also another three links for discussions on making the card holders:

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/...y-s-craft-fair

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/...t-card-holders

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/...rd-holder-plan

It appears they sell between 5 - 8$ and the time to produce is reduced by stack cutting and running a medium to large production run.

Karl

Comment

Thanks for the references

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X