Puzzle ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzle ???

There are so many forums here and I placed this question in the puzzle forum but see that is mainly for asking for puzzles so I thought we would try here as well.

Maybe some use the FD puzzle blades and maybe some use something else so if you use something else and happy with them please chime in also and tell me about them. Maybe try those out too. Thanks

Anyone use FD Superior puzzle blades for their puzzles. I am trying to make Steve Good's money puzzles. The puzzle is 1/4" BB and I use a 1/16" piece under it for fuzzies. I am using the FD blades and having breakage problems. This puzzle has small pieces so I should be able to make many cuts but all I can cut is about 5 pieces nd the blade breaks. Yes they dull fast but the breakage has me concerned. They break around the project so it is not a clamp thing. The saw is a RBI 220vs saw. I slowed the speed down and cut slowly. I have used finer jewelers blades and got more life from them.The FD blades also do not spin well within the thin kerf so it basically has a hop when trying to spin in tight corners.

My question is there some tricks to using these?? Has anyone who uses them experience what I am talking about. I have never used these before and these are the first puzzles I am making.
    John T.

I have used them on my Dewalt with no major problems. I do slow the saw a bit when I am free handing a puzzle. Probably drop the speed by 1/4. I have cut a 60 piece on two blades. The first one failed because I got stupid early in the cut and pinched the blade in the kerf and jerked it out of the clamp, bending it badly.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McDonald View Post
      I have used them on my Dewalt with no major problems. I do slow the saw a bit when I am free handing a puzzle. Probably drop the speed by 1/4. I have cut a 60 piece on two blades. The first one failed because I got stupid early in the cut and pinched the blade in the kerf and jerked it out of the clamp, bending it badly.
      Do you find the blade hard to turn in a corner?? With a pattern you have the little tabs and need to keep them tight. Just not use to these thin blades.
      John T.

Comment

John, to be honest, I concentrate more doing a puzzle than normal fretwork. Most of my puzzles are cut freehand, so I am constantly thinking about my next turn and trying to set it up in my head. With fretwork, I have already viewed the pattern and have an idea of what's ahead

Turning has not been a big problem, but I don't do a tremendous number of puzzles. Maybe slower stroke speed and my increased concentration is why. Also, I have to consciously force myself to use a lighter touch to avoid pushing and deflecting the blade to the side.
        hope this helps.
        Jim
        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I use the puzzle blades on my card puzzles all the time. It is basically the same concept as the Steve Good money puzzle only using greeting cards. Since I like to make raised areas I have used the clamps in up to three pieces of 1/8" BB. I do most of mine with an EX-21 with the Pegas clamps. I tried on a Dewalt but the Dewalt bent the ends not matter how I tried to adjust the clamp. I do have a old RBI VS226 and never had much luck using tiny blades on it due to breakage.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
            I use the puzzle blades on my card puzzles all the time. It is basically the same concept as the Steve Good money puzzle only using greeting cards. Since I like to make raised areas I have used the clamps in up to three pieces of 1/8" BB. I do most of mine with an EX-21 with the Pegas clamps. I tried on a Dewalt but the Dewalt bent the ends not matter how I tried to adjust the clamp. I do have a old RBI VS226 and never had much luck using tiny blades on it due to breakage.
            I noticed that about the Dewalt too when I pulled it out to try cutting these with it. Quickly abandoned that idea. That has become my boat anchor. need to unload that thing. Having better luck with my RBI 226 than the Rbi 220. I will try the pegasus blades when I get them and a few other techniques to get the jist of these. I spoke with Steve Good and he thinks it could be a bad batch of blades. Ordered more Fd blades from a different source so will try that also.
            John T.

Comment

I use the FD SPB and they have been a champ and joy to use on my Hawk G4 and EX-16.

Aside from all the good suggestions above, you may want to consider the following:

Now and then I do have a breakage problem and It seems to happen in batches. These are ones that were not properly back tempered.

In the blade making process, the metal is heated and quenched and at this point they are brittle.
              They are then "tempered" at a lower and drawn out heat than with the forging process, which brings back the "springy-ness" that allows the metal to perform its intended duty and to also allow it to flex and not break.

Look at your blades to see if they have a "rainbow" or multi- color to them (that's what mine had in both instances).
              If they do, they probably missed the tempering step or it was not done properly. It happens more often than you think.

You can also try bending the blade in you gloved hands and if it snaps, then that is the culprit.

I sent some back to Mike when he had the FD business and he sent me out new ones pronto. Good Man.
              Woodtography - photography in wood
              http://www.Woodtography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Woodtography (tm) View Post
                I use the FD SPB and they have been a champ and joy to use on my Hawk G4 and EX-16.

Aside from all the good suggestions above, you may want to consider the following:

Now and then I do have a breakage problem and It seems to happen in batches. These are ones that were not properly back tempered.

In the blade making process, the metal is heated and quenched and at this point they are brittle.
                They are then "tempered" at a lower and drawn out heat than with the forging process, which brings back the "springy-ness" that allows the metal to perform its intended duty and to also allow it to flex and not break.

Look at your blades to see if they have a "rainbow" or multi- color to them (that's what mine had in both instances).
                If they do, they probably missed the tempering step or it was not done properly. It happens more often than you think.

You can also try bending the blade in you gloved hands and if it snaps, then that is the culprit.

I sent some back to Mike when he had the FD business and he sent me out new ones pronto. Good Man.
                Now that you said that, they are rainbow colored because I even made a mental comment to myself( no one else around) I will be getting some new ones in. I bought these from Bear woods I believe. But not going to try sending back. I will use for something. Thanks.
                John T.

Comment

Originally posted by jttheclockman View Post

Now that you said that, they are rainbow colored because I even made a mental comment to myself( no one else around) I will be getting some new ones in. I bought these from Bear woods I believe. But not going to try sending back. I will use for something. Thanks.
                  You're welcome.

30+ years as a cutler specializing in sharpening aircraft production shears and custom knife-making has it's benefits

I only sent them back per request from Mike, as he then probably forwarded them back to Germany for the QC dept to scrutinize.
                  Woodtography - photography in wood
                  http://www.Woodtography.com

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
                    Have you checked the counter screws in your Dewalt clamps to make sure they have not backed off into the body of the clamp? They should sit flush or a bit proud of the surface, adjusted to keep the blade square.
                    https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
                    Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Phone call from son.
                      by will8989
                      Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                      Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                    • garryatpa
                      Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                      by garryatpa
                      Wow!!!! That is beautiful. Super job of sawing. If I worked it out correctly it took you less than a minute for each opening especially when I look at the amount of time it would take to saw the outline of the bear. Garry
                      Yesterday, 10:43 PM
                    • meflick
                      Reply to Phone call from son.
                      by meflick
                      Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                      Yesterday, 01:10 PM
                    • meflick
                      Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                      by meflick
                      Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                      Yesterday, 01:04 PM
                    • John Smith
                      Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                      by John Smith
                      Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                      HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                      Yesterday, 10:01 AM
                    Working...
                    X