State quarter magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State quarter magnets

This is something I have been doing for a couple of years off and on and they have been well received. Years ago, our friend and frequent contributor to this forum--the late Carter Johnson--showed his stamp puzzles in match boxes. Carter said he would leave one with his tip in restaurants and the servers loved the little extra.
    As hard as he tried, I never fully embraced the puzzle cutting, but I do some times leave one of these on a table or give to friends.
    I try to cut them from 3/8" wood, but do some in scraps of 1/4".
    Since I am getting ready for bit of a road trip on vacation, I made some for the states we will be in.
    Of course the states are not to scale. I try to make the patterns so there is about a 1 1/4 ~ 1 1/2" area for the quarter. I use a 15/16" forstner bit for the quarter and then countersink and glue a rare earth magnet in the back.
    To seat the quarter, I took a piece of one inch dowel and got it to barely fit inside the rim and a tap with the hammer seats it flush.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

That is a really neat idea Jim! I like the look.

Karl
    Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Cool idea. What kind of glue works best for you?
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I use super glue gel for the magnets.

Forgot to mention that I use a product called "Never Dull" metal polish to clean the coins and then put the final coats of lacquer on after I seat the coin.

With the 15/16ths bit, there is no need to glue the coin. The ridges of the coin really grip the wood.
        Jim

Comment

A wonderful idea, Jim.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Oaks View Post
            A wonderful idea, Jim.
            Denny, you will need two magnets for Tennessee. And other long, thin states.
            Jim

Comment

Those are a great idea Jim and I am sure will be much appreciated as you leave these gifts. As I see you have our great state of TN there as one you will be visiting, what part of the State are you going to/through? Let us know if anywhere Knoxville or Chattanooga. I am in Knoxville area and Denny is down between Knoxville and Chattanooga - well worth a stop in at his shop if it is open to meet with him and see the shop.
              Melanie from East TN

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X