Magnify light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnify light

I'am looking for a good quality light and Magnify what do anyone suggest????

I bought this Mag lite from Judy Gale Roberts at Intarsia .com.

It is excellent it has two lens.

https://intarsia.com/collections/har...agnifying-lamp
    cwmagee
    aka Fibber
    Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Doing demos for a club I have used several over the years. The best one I have found is the one Fibber mentioned above. Yes there are cheaper ones but you get what you pay for. Like Fibber I bought mine from Judy.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have a couple of the Brittech magnifiers that I bought from Amazon. I am pleased with their quality. But I like the idea of getting the two different lenses, although once you get setup with the magnification you are comfortable with, you probably will never change the lens. . They should definitely have at least a 5" lens and LED lighting. do not go for the fluorescent bulbs.

This is something to consider 3 diopter = 1.75x magnification at 13” focal length 5 diopter = 2.25x magnification at 8” focal length.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Like Fibber and Scott, I have the same one from Judy’s place. We probably all bought them when we were in her beginner’s class. Rolf is right, unless you start out with the lense of lessor magnification and then need to move up you probably are not going to switch out the lenses. However, it was good to be able to choose which one works for you. Also, this one does not have the distortion around the edges like some of the cheaper ones do.

I had gotten this one, but I have two saws so wanted to add a light to the second one. Thought I would try to save some money and got a cheaper one in a local store, but it had the distortion at the edges and seemed to throw shadows the one from Judy did not. I quickly got rid of it and bought a second one from Judy. I wouldn’t be with out my light and magnifier.

One final note, some people cannot use these because it gives them double vision for some reason when looking through them. Judy mentioned this once at a class, and said she had only had one or two people in all the years of teaching her classes who couldn’t use it for that reason. I found that a little strange, but then my husband had the same issue with mine. I still don’t know why that is. So if you have never used one before, be aware of this potential issue for a few folks.
          Melanie from East TN

Comment

I wear progressive glasses all of the time, they already give me some magnification. When using a magnifier I have to make sure that the focal point of the lens is correct and then move my head until all is clear. This is all automatic but if not correct I will get a mild double vision effect.
            Mel does hubby wear glass?
            Rolf

Comment

I wear no line bifocals. I bought a lamp through Amazon and had blurred vision. Got an almost instant headache. The one I got from Judy gives me no issues.
              Last edited by NC Scroller; 03-21-2019, 02:47 PM.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I also wear transition glasses. I have no problem.

Regarding changing magnification Rolf I agree it is rare to change the magnification. However I have found a few instances where I found it more comfortable using higher
                magnification.
                cwmagee
                aka Fibber
                Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                  I wear progressive glasses all of the time, they already give me some magnification. When using a magnifier I have to make sure that the focal point of the lens is correct and then move my head until all is clear. This is all automatic but if not correct I will get a mild double vision effect.
                  Mel does hubby wear glass?
                  Rolf, No, he doesn't wear glasses but he did have lasik surgery several years ago now. He was very far sighted and did wear glasses since he was little. I think if I remember correctly that when they did the lasik that they did one for closer and one for father away. That may have something to do with it perhaps. I will have to ask him if I am remembering that correctly though.
                  Melanie from East TN

Comment

Try this one https://www.harborfreight.com/Fluore...amp-60643.html

This is my second from Harbor Freight. (I broke the first one)
                    I have progressive lens glasses and have not had any problems.

Comment

I have a fluorescent ring magnifier that I rescued from work It had a broken joint. Used it for years until I bought a LED version. The Light is so much brighter on the LED. I was always worried that the upper arm on my Hawk would pop up and break the tube.
                      Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X