a simple puzzle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a simple puzzle

Last year while at HD I found a pine board, 12' 1x8" in the mark down pile. It was cupped and warped but really cheep. I left it outside because I didn't have room for it in the shop. I was behind the shop last week and was surprised to see it had straightened out enough to make puzzles out of it. It has a slight cupping still but that can be ignored in this project. I cut off a 32" section, sanded it to 220 and then using alcohol based leather die, I "painted" it. I covered the painted side with sheets of scrap printer paper taped together to cover the full length and trimmed to the width. Imarked the half way spot on the length, then kept halving the sections until I got a decent sized puzzle piece for little kids to handle. I did the same with the width. Using that grid I freehand cut the board in half making tabs where required. It was much easier to cut the two sections into halves again then cut all the pieces.
    It aint pretty but my grandkids like puzzles.
    OH, I got past the cupping by holding the spot I was cutting flat against the saw table. Using a #5 blade made the kerf wide enough that the slack from said kerf lets the puzzle lay flat on the table.
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

What a great idea of painting. I never thought of that.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I have heard that you can take the powdered RIT dye and mix with alcohol (DNA). Just proves there is the right project for every piece of wood. You juts have to wait longer for some pieces.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Great looking puzzle.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

That should keep them busy for a while.

Never heard of leaving boards exposed to the elements to straighten them out. Seen some boards that this process may be the only way to salvage them.
          "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Thanks guys.
            Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
            Desert Woodcrafters
            Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RJweb
              Reply to New Band saw Fence
              RJweb
              Thx for the review, what size blade did you use for resawing, also I feel that is a good price considering it is a Kreg product, I like their stuff, I have a few of their products, RJ...
              Today, 12:54 PM
            • Rolf
              Rolf
              Quartz you are absolutely right about the need for a good blade and proper tuning of the saw. I thought the price was a lot cheaper than I expected. Only nine ornaments
              Betty I have the mag switches on my scroll saw dust collection they are amazingly strong.
              But for my fence I want to...
              Today, 09:10 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              Reply to Gizmos
              Sandy Oaks
              Thanks Rolf. Hard to see, but the light wood is curly maple. Beautiful
              Yesterday, 11:07 PM
            • will8989
              will8989
              Bruce bought the Carter bandsaw fence and resaw fence at the Woodworkers show. He hasn’t used it yet but will give his ewview when he does use it. His is magnetic as he is left handed.thats what he said anyway. Will let you know how it is when I use it.
              Yesterday, 09:53 PM
            • Trout
              Reply to My truck is done..
              Trout
              Did a delivery with the new truck.. ...
              Yesterday, 07:42 PM
            Working...
            X