Drill bits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill bits

Drilling start holes for Fretwork, the smallest Bit I have is 1/8, which works for larger cutouts, but too big for small pieces , lines. Using Olson Pin ends in the 49 's numbers currently. What size bits should I buy?

If you are using pin end blades you are limited by the width of the pin. Even if the blade is smaller the pin will remain the same.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Without going down to numbered blades you should be able find 5/64 or 3/32. A Rolf said you are limited to the width of the pin.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

If you have pinless blades, Mike’s Workshop (now owned by Wooden Teddy Bear), has a chart blades to drill bits.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I found this link about how to remove the pin from the blade and substitute a safety pin. I can’t vouch for this tip, but thought I’d pass it along.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwor...change-hassles
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

3/32 is like drilling with a piece of hair it is so thin. I use this bit to drill a starter on the Angels and birdhouses for the eye screw for the hanger. I turn on the drill press and push the angel or birdhouse onto the drill bit. This may work for the starter holes for fretwork.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

3/32 is huge! I use a #70 drill bit for many of my ornaments it is .028" 3/32 is .093"
              Rolf
              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I think I have some #72 size that I use. I'd be dead in the water if the smallest I had was 3/32".
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

#62 is as high as I’ve gone, chucked into a drill press. My go-to bit for bowls is #56, which takes a #7 blade.
                  Carole

Comment

How about 1/32? If you click on the picture and don’t enlarge it, that is the size of the bit.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by will8989; 01-03-2019, 12:51 AM.
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Found these figured I will try
                      https://widgetsupply.com/product/bdl32-82616md.html

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                        How about 1/32? If you click on the picture and don’t enlarge it, that is the size of the bit.
                        1/32" is pretty small. That's between a #67 & #68.
                        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

If you can't get at least one of the pins through a hole that small, it won't do you any good.

You'll either have to remove the pin (see my earlier post), or configure your saw blade holders to take pinless blades. It's not the blade size that's causing the problem, or the size of the drilled hole. It's the pin at the end that can't pass through.
                          Carole

Comment

As thin as a hair Bill.
                            Betty

Comment

Pete not sure where on the Coast you are but if there are any hobby shops you can check there for micro bits. They are used by folks who play with model cars and trains.
                              Scott
                              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RJweb
                                Reply to New Band saw Fence
                                RJweb
                                Thx for the review, what size blade did you use for resawing, also I feel that is a good price considering it is a Kreg product, I like their stuff, I have a few of their products, RJ...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Rolf
                                Quartz you are absolutely right about the need for a good blade and proper tuning of the saw. I thought the price was a lot cheaper than I expected. Only nine ornaments
                                Betty I have the mag switches on my scroll saw dust collection they are amazingly strong.
                                But for my fence I want to...
                                Today, 09:10 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Gizmos
                                Sandy Oaks
                                Thanks Rolf. Hard to see, but the light wood is curly maple. Beautiful
                                Yesterday, 11:07 PM
                              • will8989
                                will8989
                                Bruce bought the Carter bandsaw fence and resaw fence at the Woodworkers show. He hasn’t used it yet but will give his ewview when he does use it. His is magnetic as he is left handed.thats what he said anyway. Will let you know how it is when I use it.
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • Trout
                                Reply to My truck is done..
                                Trout
                                Did a delivery with the new truck.. ...
                                Yesterday, 07:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X