My hegner is chopping thru wood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My hegner is chopping thru wood

After a few years with my 22 inch hegner all of a sudden it seems to be chopping thru the wood not the normal smooth sailing. It almost seem like it stop and goes even though it is not slowing down and it is a lot noisery. I have changed all the clamps and do not see anything wrong with it. Sometimes it breaks the blade off at the top clamp. Any help would surely be welcome. No after this many years I did not start putting the blades in upside down.
    Starts
    11-13-2018
    Ends
    11-14-2018
    TomR

Sound like a worn or loose link, time for a CLA.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
    Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

Contact Advanced Machinery,Hegner dealer,New Castle Dealware.800-727-6553 Mon- Fri 10-3.Thet are extremely helpful.I have called them in the past and they told me what my problem was and how to fix it.

Comment

Gary what is a CLA. Will I have contacted Advanced Machinery sorry to say but Hans died and so far no good answers.
        TomR

Comment

There’s no one else to help you? That’s strange. I’m interested in this as I am having the same problem with blades breaking in the top holder. I replaced my tension bar last year after 16years and it worked great until lately so I’m not sure that is the problem. I use Pegas blades, what do you use? When it acts up, the lower part of the blade bends then it snaps. Using it today, will let you know how it goes.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Will I use mostly flying dutchman blades. Is it possible the bearing are going on the connector between the flywheel and th lower arm?
            TomR

Comment

Originally posted by Rubsterwine View Post
              Gary what is a CLA. Will I have contacted Advanced Machinery sorry to say but Hans died and so far no good answers.
              Shorthand for Clean, Lube, Adjust. In your case it may also require new parts.

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                There’s no one else to help you? That’s strange. I’m interested in this as I am having the same problem with blades breaking in the top holder. I replaced my tension bar last year after 16years and it worked great until lately so I’m not sure that is the problem. I use Pegas blades, what do you use? When it acts up, the lower part of the blade bends then it snaps. Using it today, will let you know how it goes.
                The centering adjustment on the blade mount may have backed off and the blade is being pinched against one side when you tighten it. Get a flashlight and get a close look at it.

Comment

Did you go to the manufacturer site and looks at the parts diagram for your machine? You should locate the crank linkages and see if you have a blown out bearing in it.

Comment

The Hegner is a fairly simple machine. Every couple of hours you need to put a drop or two of oil on the bushings. Mine is over 20 years old and smooth. Have you been oiling it?

you should be able to grab the arms and feel if there is any play and if they are moving correctly. Mine has no play in the arms.

Comment

Check the thumb screw in the upper holder. On the end is a tiny screw that must be perfectly flat. If it’s not it won’t grab the blade properly. I replace mine every few years. The problem this time is with #5 blades. The bottom of the blade is not even and I believe that is my problem. The other pegas blades work fine as they are straight across
                      Attached Files
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thanks guys: The blade is not being pinched. I have parts list and diagram, the bearing on the crank linkage are sealed but I have on order a new linkage with bearings. Yes I oil the bushings every couple of weeks. I thought maybe the screws on the upper clamp might worn to much so I removed the two sets I have, made sure they were flat then reinstalled them in the clamps so they stick out just a hair. This is really getting to me as I pretty well understand the machine and it is easy to replace the parts that become worn but my cuttings are taking a beating and now the are not smooth but i end up with ridges as the saw chops along, the harder the wood the worse the cuts are, walnut, aromatic cedar,aspen all look good. Cherry and Oak are bad.
                        TomR

Comment

I have no idea. Today my saw worked perfect, even the #5 blade. I did take a brush and brush between the springs then oiled and that’s all. I vacuum my saw every week and brush off the dust everyday. I cut approximately 6 hours today with no problem. Of course, when cleaning I told it I would replace it with a new machine if it acts up again. Maybe that was it.
                          Betty

Comment

The Pegas super skips are a real problem to clamp correctly with that little bump out at the ends. I've never seen this on any other blade, and wonder if it could be snapped off. I also wonder why it's made that way--no reason that I can see. The Modified Geometry look more normal.
                            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rubsterwine View Post
                              Thanks guys: The blade is not being pinched. I have parts list and diagram, the bearing on the crank linkage are sealed but I have on order a new linkage with bearings. Yes I oil the bushings every couple of weeks. I thought maybe the screws on the upper clamp might worn to much so I removed the two sets I have, made sure they were flat then reinstalled them in the clamps so they stick out just a hair. This is really getting to me as I pretty well understand the machine and it is easy to replace the parts that become worn but my cuttings are taking a beating and now the are not smooth but i end up with ridges as the saw chops along, the harder the wood the worse the cuts are, walnut, aromatic cedar,aspen all look good. Cherry and Oak are bad.
                              The ridges tell me the geometry of the arms is not holding square. You’ve tested the arms by torqueing them side to side havent you? If they are still tight something else is causing the blade to be out of square with the direction of the sawing action.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• alexscrollsaw
                                Tiger fretwork
                                alexscrollsaw
                                Tiger fretwork, 450 cuts
                                Size 10x13 inches (without frame), birch plywood, 1/6 inch, gloss varnish
                                pattern is available at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AlexFoxUA

Today, 04:03 AM
                              • will8989
                                Conversation with Bruce
                                will8989
                                Me: I can’t believe I’m almost out of wood. Only 2small pieces of cherry and some poplar. No wood, no baskets for Wednesday night. Bruce: well, where is the wood? Me: in the bank. Bruce: what’s it doing in the bank? Me: seriously? He went to the carpenter shop where the sawmill is for Elm and...
                                Today, 12:56 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers Mkt today
                                will8989
                                Another great day yesterday, almost a sell out!!! Sold all but 3 Small baskets, some card holders and a few other things. Repeat customers. Freezing cold!!! Now, what do I take for Wednesday night?
                                Today, 12:40 AM
                              • hotshot
                                Reply to Coin Cutting Weekend
                                hotshot
                                Sorry, I totally missed this question, for CorelDraw, crop you pattern to the edges on all sides, then scale the pattern to 100mm x 100mm then export that to PDF. What that does is than anyone can take you pattern then make it fit any coin by just printing to a percentage that matches the size of the...
                                Yesterday, 11:44 PM
                              • Quartz43
                                Reply to epoxy
                                Quartz43
                                I have used several different epoxy. I use 5 and 15 minute epoxy for most things. I use the Bob Smith brand from Amazon. I mix it in small pill cups and measure by weight with a cheap small digital scale. One does need to be careful as it is not mixed one to one by weight and you have to check directions....
                                Yesterday, 06:51 PM
                              Working...
                              X