Table mounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table mounts

I have recently acquired a new to me Hefner 22” variable speed scroll saw. This morning I finished the work station, but do not know what size bolts the base is threaded for.

its bigger than M6 and smaller than M8, my M7x1.0 tap starts threading in but gets real tight instead of passing through. I’m guessing a M7x.9, but not certain.

Does ra anyone know the correct size??

Thanks!

Maybe it's not metric.I had the same trouble once.

Comment

1/4-20 slips through and my 5/16 taps won’t fit. Quite certain it’s meteic. I don’t want to have to take the saw to the hardware store but may have too.

Comment

Instead of taking the saw to the store....perhaps buy a bolts of a couple different sizes (enough of each to do the job). Then return the ones you don't end up using. One of the cashiers at the hardware store suggested that to me once. Sure was easier!
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Originally posted by rash_powder View Post
          ...snip...
          its bigger than M6 and smaller than M8, my M7x1.0 tap starts threading in but gets real tight instead of passing through. I’m guessing a M7x.9, but not certain.

Does ra anyone know the correct size??

Thanks!
          That is interesting. I did a search for 7mm thread pitches and found there is only one, 1.0mm (see attached image).
          7mm Thread Pitches 08-12-18.JPG

When you say "my 5/16 taps won’t fit", I assume you mean both 18 and 24 pitch.
          That leaves you with a bit of a dilemma.

Can you determine the thread tap drill size (ID of the table threads)? Potentially a lot of variability, but it might help narrow it down.

Rick

"If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."

Comment

You could contact

Advanced Machinery
            PO Box 430
            New Castle, DE 19720
            Phone: 302.322.2226 or 800.727.6553 (Mon-Fri:10am to 3pm Eastern Time)
            From outside the USA: 302.322.2226 (Mon-Fri:10am to 3pm Eastern Time)
            FAX: 866.686.1615
            E-Mail: wolfgang@advmachinery.com

They would help you.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf has the answer that would give you the answer with the least effort. I bet if you call the lady that answers the phone will have the answer. I have a Hegner, I could take the bolt out but I don't know how to tell you the size/thread. Especially the threads. Tell me what to do and I will do it. I can mic the diameter and measure the length.

Okay I took one out, and I don't think it is metric. I measure the outside diameter of the thread and I get 5/16" in the inch reading, and 7.8 on the mm. I have a cheap little thread gauge and it looks like 20 tpi. I'd at least start with that. Sorry I do not have a 5/16 x 20 die to verify that. Why wouldn't those be metric, German made saw.....
              Last edited by Scrappile; 08-12-2018, 05:24 PM.
              AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Got the size sorted out. M8-1.25 and whatever length you might need.

Comment

Call Hegner and if you call early enough in the morning they will send the bolts out to you the same day. Mine aren’t regular bolts but you need an Allen wrench to put them in. I have the Hegner 18.And they screw up from the bottom not down from the top
                  Attached Files
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

A good hardware store will have them if the Box stores don't.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X