The Tree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tree

When I started coin cutting, there seemed to be a general consensus amongst the coin cutters using the Jewelers saw that that the Jewelers saw was the only tool with enough control and accuracy to do highly detailed cutting. A few of the advanced cutters in that world cut the "Tree of Life" designs as a demonstration of what their tool could do. Being a scroll saw fanatic, I didn't buy the assertion that the scroll saw was inferior. This is my answer from the scroll saw side, cut in an Eisenhower.

-----Randy

Tree_CompleteIMG.jpg
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

That is a pretty good Answer,Thanks for Sharing

Comment

A really good answer Randy your tree turned out great. Just wondering how you determine where to place the hanging hole or is it predetermined on the pattern for you?
      Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
        A really good answer Randy your tree turned out great. Just wondering how you determine where to place the hanging hole or is it predetermined on the pattern for you?
        I needed to maximize the size of the pattern as much as I could, because it was near impossible to cut as it was. So the Heart was scaled to fit the coin exactly, then the hole was placed in a position where it would still fit, but as far from the center as possible. I didn't want to put it in the center because I thought that would detract form the Heart shape.

Comment

Another amazing cutting, Randy.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Awesome work Randy. Amazing what you can cut. Thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
            Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
            John Wayne

Comment

Ok.. I have to ask because this seemed way beyond my abilities when I have seen your amazing work before (yeap I liked it but never read any further). Where is a good starting article? I have been a follow the lines and make sawdust. person for years. This will not make sawdust but looks like fun. I have all the issues of the magazine if that helps point me in the right direction. Also have a lot of 50 cent coins.
              The other John A. Nelson
              johnsworkshop.com
              sigpic
              I just follow the lines and make sawdust
              on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

You are right about the hanging hole needing to be off center. Another great piece!
                Thanks for sharing.

"Time to give back."
                "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Originally posted by keystonecop View Post
                  Ok.. I have to ask because this seemed way beyond my abilities when I have seen your amazing work before (yeap I liked it but never read any further). Where is a good starting article? I have been a follow the lines and make sawdust. person for years. This will not make sawdust but looks like fun. I have all the issues of the magazine if that helps point me in the right direction. Also have a lot of 50 cent coins.
                  John, not Randy but I can point you in a couple of directions. First, Randy has a site with lots of detailed information about coin cutting, the address is in his signature line of any of his posts, www.coincutting.com. Then, SSWC magazine (who’s forum we are on) just publishe an article with Randy about coin cutting. Most of us just started getting our subscription copies in the past week so if you are not a subscriber, it should be appearing I retail outlets soon I think.

Randy, I am always amazed at the stunning works of art that you create with a small coin and your scroll saw. This is no exception. It is stunning. I agree, offsetting the hanger area really keeps the beauty of the heart shape that putting I the middle would not do. I believe you are the type that likes to be told something cannot be done so you can prove them wrong. Clearly you have hear. One day I hope to see some of your coins in person!
                  Melanie from East TN

Comment

Originally posted by keystonecop View Post
                    Ok.. I have to ask because this seemed way beyond my abilities . . . . .
                    Hey I think Melanie got it all right. The only thing I would add is that you never know if this is beyond your abilities until you try. I have a lot of beginner patterns to start with at coincutting.com, and wouldn't have believed this current pieces was even possible a few years back, so everyone is a rookie when they first start. If you want to try this, follow the tutorial exactly, and you will bypass a lot of issues I had to figure out how to overcome when I first started.

------Randy

Comment

Seems like you are always looking for something to challenge yourself cutting. In my estimation, you found a big challenge with this one.
                      Beautiful piece and more impressive for the size/material. (But, you have trained us to expect excellence)
                      Jim
                      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

That is a beautiful design at any scale. At this size it is amazing.!
                        Randy you never cease to amaze me.
                        One question, how do you debure this?
                        Regarding being able to do challenging projects. I get asked a lot "how did
                        you know how to do that" my response " I don't, but I also don't know that I can't."
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Wow, another beautiful piece Randy, RJ
                          Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Randy - your coin cutting simply amazes me and this design is a demonstration of just how skilled a scroller you are.

I agree with your philosophy that you never know the scope of your abilities until you try but you set an incredibly high standard to attain.

Beautiful work and and one of my favourite subjects for a design.

Thanks for sharing

Jim
                            Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                            - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                              ....One question, how do you debure this?
                              This is an interesting question, and luckily, I stumbled onto the answer early on, and it was easy. I polish it with a Dremel and small polishing wheel with Mothers Mag Polish. Before polishing it, if you take your hand along the top, it feels like a cheese grater. But during the polishing process, a nice side effect is that the sharp edges are smoothed.

I was very nervous about polishing this one, so you can bet I got my pictures taken before I attempted it :-). But a lot of the fragile sections are connected to the outside edge, so it is a sturdier than it looks, and it did survive the polishing. I'm always nervous that the polishing wheel will grab something and pull, and ruin my piece, but I don't remember that having actually ever happened.

I have a new toy in the mail, called a pin polisher, or a magnetic polisher. I will definitely be able to use it with the bulk of my designs, but I'm hoping this type of cutting will survive that tools as well as it would save me a lot of time.
                              Last edited by hotshot; 04-15-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X