Cutting 36" long piece.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting 36" long piece.

Hello all, it has been a while, i have been trying to cut a 1/4" piece of MDF which is 30" long and about 28" wide. Any advice or suggestions as how to cut. I tried a spiral blade and they are just so difficult to cut with. A while back i read something about taking a regular blade and twisting it on top and bottom... i tried it once and would not stay in the blade holder....

please help... suggestions appreciated.

I have no idea how you would cut something that size with out using spiral blades. I'd say practice with spirals until you are comfortable with them, then go back to your project. I use spirals when needed. My two spirals, and the only one I use are the Flying Dutchman New Spiral blade size 3/0 and the Pegas spiral size 2/0. Start out slow, don't try to force them you will gain some speed as you get use to them.
    AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

thank you.. have you ever tried twisting the blades top and bottom so you are cutting basically from the side of the table??

Comment

Practicing with a spiral blade is really your only choice - I'd agree with cutting at a slow speed and feed rate - couple other thoughts - maybe sandwich your 1/4 inch board so the blade has a bit more resistance if it is cutting too easily or aggressively - use a finer blade rather than a coarse blade - keep good tension on the blade - work on keeping a smooth and steady flow to your movements (if you were just learning how to drive remember back to the advise to keep your eyes way down the road - not on the pavement right in front of the car) - I'm also assuming you have good, level support on your work either side of the cutting table - and also assuming your saw is well tuned (blade vertical from side to side and front to back) and finally - remember the first point - take time to practice and feel comfortable with a spiral blade before committing yourself to your project - hope this all makes sense.

Jay

Comment

Just another possible solution, place the blade in backwards. - Floyd
          ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

How large is your saw. I cut 30" on my 226 Hawk saw. But you have to come at each cut from 2 angles because you can not spin it 360 degrees. Mirror is 30" wide
            Attached Files
            John T.

Comment

I cut a 30" + door topper and for some cuts it did as Floyd suggested and put the blades in backwards. Make sure you practice with the blade in backwards. It is very different.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have never tried cutting anything that large.
                Denny
                ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

It takes alot of practice to ge the hang of spirals but once you do, your hooked. It took me two times of trying to get the hang of spirals the first time was a big fail I got so frustrated with them I wanted to throw the blades and saw across the room. I put the blades up and months later out of pure bordem and wanting a new challange I got hte spirals back out. I turned my saw down to the lowest speed got some scrap wood and starting praticing and slowly worked turning the speed of the saw up till I got the hang of took about a hour but was able to use spirals after that I was hooked.

Try the spirals again just go slow take your time and pratice on scrap wood draw lines and shapes and practice cutting those out till you get the hang of it.

Comment

If you want to try twisting the blades again, this works for me.

Install the blade , using pliers grab at the top and the bottom at the same time, twist 90° and then tension.
                    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                    No PHD, but I have my GED and my DD 214"
                    Website https://craftingcouple.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• octoolguy
                      Reply to Spiral Basket
                      octoolguy
                      I've watched many of Alex Fox's videos. You did a fine job on this one. I will have to give it a try....
                      Today, 03:02 PM
                    • mowerman1193
                      Reply to Pegas Blade Chuck?
                      mowerman1193
                      Hmm, I read on another message board that the thumb screws are the same size.. and they said they used their screws they had from their old clamp because they had bought some special steel ones with a knurled knob.. so I guess I would assume the screws would work.. then I also read where the only difference...
                      Today, 02:48 PM
                    • bhenr99
                      Reply to Pegas Blade Chuck?
                      bhenr99
                      I called suppliers of the Pegas blade holder and none of them could answer if parts were available.I asked mainly for the tip replacement on the thumb screw.
                      Today, 08:27 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Great Poplar
                      Rolf
                      Beautiful colors it is a shame that it doesn't stay that way.
                      Today, 08:18 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Lowes Picking up Craftsman Hand Tools
                      Rolf
                      I was never a fan of Craftsman power tools. I always though they were for "homeowner duty" and for most normal usage they are great. For heavy duty usage I go with higher end brands. My dad was a big fan. The only Craftsman tools I used heavily and still do are the mechanical ones, wrenches...
                      Today, 08:09 AM
                    Working...
                    X