Has there ever been

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has there ever been

Has there ever been any testing done on the big name scrollsaws on the market of any kind. Tests that pitted saws against each other?? Saws such as Dewalt, Hegner, RBI, Excal. and maybe the new Jet. Tests such as cutting speeds, blade travel, blade deflection front to back, blades (same for each saw) wearability?? If so any links to these tests. Not interested in the Ryobis and lower end saws. Have done some google searching and have found nothing. Tests of the longer parallel link arms against the shorter ones and things like this. Thanks.
    John T.

I don't recall ever seeing one. Just for giggles have you looked at the Consumer Reports website?
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Steve Good has done some reports on different scroll saws

Comment

SSWC has done some comparative reviews of different saws, but I don't think they went into the detail you are talking about. BobD does most of the reviews I've read. You might drop him a PM.
        Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Maybe he will see this and drop in. I know so many factors go into doing tests but thought maybe some company or person who has a lot of time on their hands has done a controlled study.
          John T.

Comment

Bob did a very informal testing of vibration when he reviewed the big collection of saws.

People are incredibly religious about their saws, so pitting saws against each other, no matter how objective the testing, it would look like picking winners and losers, and would probably do the magazine more damage than good. I love critical assessments of tools, but a lot of people can not handle seeing their tool under scrutiny.

However, not too long ago, Bob was very candid in pointing out a few possible negatives in both the Seyco and the Jet. It is a tricky path he treads. The mag needs every subscriber and every advertiser, and people get mad easy. I assume the advertisers help keep the magazine going. If the magazine printed an objective piece on the Proxxon, that would end all advertising from that company forever.

On one of the facebook forums, I made a comment, trying to warn someone away from the Harbor Freight scrollsaw, and that is when I discovered that even that saw has it's fans. One guy got all bent our of shape, and chewed several of us out, then quit the forum in a rage.

So, even if the tests were very scientific and thoughtful, there would be heck to pay. See how the dust collection reviews of the Oneida vs Clear Vue went. Clear Vue and Onieda owners both spend a load of $$$ on their choice of dust collection systems, and that "blood equity" is very similar to what happens when folks invest a lot of $$$ and invest a lot of time in their scroll saws. It becomes more religious, and it become very hard to have an object conversation with out bloodshed. See this dust collection review from wood magazine: https://www.woodmagazine.com/review/...cv1800-cyclone, then google it to see the hate.
            Last edited by hotshot; 01-18-2018, 06:02 PM.
            "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

I am currently trying to organize and do an inventory of all of my patterns. During this process, I did find on scrollsaw review that Bob wrote. It is in the Spring 2013. I will let you know if I find that magazine that had the review that Randy mentioned.
              www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
                I am currently trying to organize and do an inventory of all of my patterns. During this process, I did find on scrollsaw review that Bob wrote. It is in the Spring 2013. I will let you know if I find that magazine that had the review that Randy mentioned.
                You would have top post the article because I stopped that magazine years ago. Not challenging enough for my tastes. Goes back to what Randy said about walking a fine line to keep new subscribers. Inventory on patterns. Wow good luck with that. If you are ever looking for a few years work you can do mine for me too.
                John T.

Comment

Randy you are so right. When we demonstrate at our annual woodworking show I am very careful not disparage anyone's saw except for the regular Hegner vs Hawk harassment that goes on between our members. Just in fun. But we do let people try cutting on our saws so that they do have a bit of a comparison. We also show them the blade change, top feed differences etc.

Jt what do you consider challenging?
                  Last edited by Rolf; 01-19-2018, 09:07 AM.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by jttheclockman View Post
                    Inventory on patterns. Wow good luck with that. If you are ever looking for a few years work you can do mine for me too.
                    Ha Ha - but no thank you. Mine will take many yrs to complete. But I decided to use these cold/snowy days to begin to get organized since my scrollsaw is currently in a very cold sunroom.
                    Last edited by Tango; 01-19-2018, 01:27 PM.
                    www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                      Randy you are so right. When we demonstrate at our annual woodworking show I am very careful not disparage anyone's saw except for the regular Hegner vs Hawk harassment that goes on between our members. Just in fun. But we do let people try cutting on our saws so that they do have a bit of a comparison. We also show them the blade change, top feed differences etc.

Jt what do you consider challenging?
                      I do not understand this question. I was wondering if there were any formal testing on things that are hard details. Not worried about vibrations. Things like that can be addressed. The big name saws have been around for years and yes everyone has their favorites. Not looking for that. Just was wondering if anyone did tests. There is a conversation going on in another forum and it is centered around speed of cutting with an RBI as opposed to a Dewalt. Setting up a test against each other would difficult because of many factors. Some saws are more aggressive cutting than others. But maybe someone had alot of time on their hands and tried such tests. That is all I was asking.

John T.

Comment

Jt you mentioned that you gave up the magazine because it wasn't challenging enough, that is why I asked. I just did a what should have been a simple box but couldn't get my head wrapped around the instructions. So I am never sure what will be a a challenge to me.
                        Last edited by Rolf; 01-20-2018, 08:06 AM.
                        Rolf

Comment

I would be curious also. Back in March of 2014 the switch on my Delta quit working. Now last weekend it quit working again. Don't know if it's the switch or not. And of course I had a request from a friend of my wifes to cut something for a little girl. We've been talking about maybe getting a new scroll saw. Since I do most of my cutting on weekends I'm not really sure what would be the best saw for me to buy, I would hope that if and when I upgraded the saw would last a little longer then the Delta which I bought in 2012

Dan

Comment

I think the switch has been a chronic problem. I believe many people just leave it on and use a foot switch. Also some have been successful blowing out the dust.
                            Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                              Jt you mentioned that you gave up the magazine because it wasn't challenging enough, that is why I asked. I just did a what should have been a simple box but couldn't get my head wrapped around the instructions. So I am never sure what will be a a challenge to me.
                              Oh got it. I am an all around woodworker so many things come easier to me I guess. Scrolling is one of those hobbies once you learn the basics and if you have a decent saw it is an easy hobby. I found the projects in the magazines too simple for me and maybe to find one challenging would be a needle in a haystack. Not worth the money to me. I have been scrolling for over 35 years and woodworking longer than that. The magazines are fine for many but just out grew them I guess. Too many intarsia projects also and it is something I just will not get into. I like looking at them and understand the mechanics of it but not something that interests me. To me challenging is doing segmenting work with a lathe. This is somewhat like intarsia work.
                              Last edited by jttheclockman; 01-20-2018, 09:51 PM.
                              John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X