Pulling the Trigger on the SSWC Archive CDs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling the Trigger on the SSWC Archive CDs

Been looking at the Archive CDs for a long time, thinking that would be the best way to get all the back issues to the very beginning. I saw a coupon code from FoxChapel for 20% total order, so I decided to go ahead and do it.

It wasn't cheap, but the discount made it a little better. Anyway, I'm excited to see all the stuff I missed from the early days of the mag. I think the mags are in PDF format, so that is even better for me as I like my stuff digital.

I'll report back and let you know how they put these together.

-------Randy
    Last edited by hotshot; 10-11-2017, 08:57 PM.
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

I think you will enjoy them.

I will have to check to see what year I am up to. I have the first two discs. It really is nice to have the electronic version. It eliminates my need to scan patterns etc.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I also have the first two disks. I have not made many projects from the old magazines, but then again, I have a lot of patterns to do.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I have all 4 versions 1 -48 and just wish they would add more. Even better put the magazine or the patterns out digitally and then maybe I would subscribe again.

Sorry for the rant but if you PM me your email address I can send you and index in xcel of those issues.

SSW has and index online too that is pretty good for all issues.

Don
        Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

I'm with Don. I have all 4 discs that goes from Mag 1 - 48 and wish they would update with newer ones. I got the Discs when I first started on the scrollsaw. I like having the patterns from the magazines on them so it makes them easier to print. Ido also have a magazine subscription, but would still like to see them update more available on the disc. Randy, you are right, the mags and the patterns are on there in PDF format.

Edited to add that Don kindly shared his index he created and it was great to have and I appreciate his willingness to share his hard work with others.
          Melanie from East TN

Comment

Question, what other means do they offer for us mac people that we don't have a disc drive, I guess I could buy an external drive, RJ
            Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Rj I think most new laptops and none of the tablets have drives. The externals are cheap.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by RJweb View Post
                Question, what other means do they offer for us mac people that we don't have a disc drive, I guess I could buy an external drive, RJ
                I also have a Mac mini. If you are in the U.S., I have an extra drive I'll send you that will work on your Mac. If so, PM me your address.

Comment

Very generous Offer you have made RJ Randy. My hubby and Daughter have newer mac laptop that don't have the disc drive and the newer Mac desktop we have also does not have one anymore. I bought both Hubby and Daughter an external drive for their laptop so I just grab Hubby's if I need for the desktop. I would suggest that instead of discs, that they consider start putting them on a USB stick instead. Several magazines have gone to that format for their archive issues that I have seen.

If getting the most recent ones after 48 is because they don't have the time at Fox Chapel and/or no personnel to work on it - I would be happy to work on getting that done if there was some way to arrange for me to do it remotely from their offices. Rolf who do you think I would need to make that offer to?
                  Melanie from East TN

Comment

What year is issue 48?

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot View Post
                      What year is issue 48?
                      Issue 48 is fall of 2012
                      Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Don in Brooklin On View Post

Issue 48 is fall of 2012
                        Thanks for checking. Lucky for me, my subscriptions go back far enough that there will be no gap :-)

Comment

Randy,
                          thx for the offer, I was at the Apple store today checking out the new iPhones, so picked a external drive, now I am good to go, thx again, RJ
                          Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Wood Magazine is putting their entire archive out on a USB key. I bit on the USB key. You can get a lot more data on USB keys than CD or DVD disc.
                            Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

The USB stick isn't really a big thing for me. It would have taken less space, but I copied all the files to the computer, then stashed the CDs.

It is very very interesting looking through the early issues. The landscape has changed dramatically since those early days. I didn't recognize the editor, Hutchinson was in about every mag, "Mr. Surface" was doing multiple Corian or Acrylics articles, Peterson had her 3D projects/patterns, and other contributors I recognized that have since passed away, and just a lot of widely varying projects/methods. When the mag launched "Nothing had been covered before so everything was fresh and New." So, they hit a lot of different bases. Most lot of the designs/projects are still relevant, except for the portraits, which were pretty crude by our current standards.

In any case, those issue have a completely different feel to them. If there is one thing I would change, that would be to move all the Ads to the back. It was interesting to see the shop smith/scrollsaw ads, and other advertisers that were active at that time, but there are a "lot" of pages of ads, that are duplicated from issue to issue, so they are a little annoying in that regard.

As I'm going through the back issues, and seeing what I missed, I'm glad I went ahead and bought the back catalog. There are a lot of projects and techniques I've mentally bookmarked and will go back to revisit and study further.
                              Last edited by hotshot; 10-17-2017, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X