Casserole trivet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casserole trivet

We will be visiting friends in Connecticut in a few weeks and my wife asked me to make something to take as a hostess gift. I found this pattern after thumbing through a stack of SSWC magazines. Red oak with clear Watco oil finish.

She likes it and I hope they will too.
    Virgil

Very nice work. I am sure your hostess will be quite appreciative of your work. Thanks for showing.
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Nice gift! Red oak?
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

A very nice gift and well done.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          Nice gift! Red oak?
          It has been in my wood collection for quite a while and I could be very wrong. I bought this in Illinois and brought it home in 24" pieces in my suitcase. (I often wonder what the TSA inspectors think when they see the wood I cart back to the LA area in my suitcase.)

I just checked another piece in the garage that I bought at the same time. The label says "Hard Oak". I bought it at menards and I cannot find this on their website. Everything they have close to this 3/4" x 8" x 4', is "red oak".Go figure!!

Well, whatever it is I like the color and the even grain.

Would red oak be somewhat more red than this?

Virgil

Comment

Best guess is that it is Red Oak. The other common version around here is White Oak and the two are generally easy to tell apart. Both could be considered "hard Oak", but I don't ever remember seeing any white at my Menard's.
            Jim
            When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
            Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dan A
              Reply to compound cutting
              Dan A
              I'm pretty sure the blade was in right. It was an 1 3/4 piece of poplar. Once I was done cutting I couldn't even get the piece to come apart out of the block. Which as I remember it, indicates to much pushing and making the blade bend.

For what it's worth I cut an ornament out of pine and...
              Today, 06:17 AM
            • leehljp
              Reply to Shingles
              leehljp
              My wife got the vaccine shot in 2011 and 4 months later came down with shingles. It wasn't a light case either.

My aunt said she found a cure for shingles: She heard that rubbing Dr. Tichenors antiseptic on it would stop it. She got in the tub and poured some on. As she tells it: "When...
              Yesterday, 10:15 PM
            • vgraf
              Reply to Mass Production
              vgraf
              I also cannot perceive making that many of anything. I just finished about 30 of the mini birdhouses and am ready to start something new.

I also have used the alcohol and shellac method. It really speeds up the finishing process. If the surface is left a little rough, a little touch up...
              Yesterday, 09:29 PM
            • vgraf
              Reply to compound cutting
              vgraf
              I had trouble cutting once with a new blade and then discovered I had it backwards.
              Yesterday, 09:23 PM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Fall magazine
              NC Scroller
              Can't wait to get mine.
              Yesterday, 08:51 PM
            Working...
            X