Atlanta Woodworking Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlanta Woodworking Show

Heading down to Atlanta to the woodworking show. If any of you see me there on Saturday, come say hi and I give you Kanji Cut Coin
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

I sure would like to go but just a little far for me to travel.

Comment

I would love to go, but the store! Somebody has to be here.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I was fortunate to have Randy give me one of his coins. Wish I could attend. Always room for one more.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Hope traffic is not to bad after the fire on I-85.

Comment

A bit far for me also. Have fun at the show. Is it a large show?
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              A bit far for me also. Have fun at the show. Is it a large show?
              It seemed pretty good sized to me, but it's the only show of this type I've ever been too. I did get to meet Steve Good who was super friendly.

One of my main motivations for going to the show was to see the new Seyco saw, and I was able to get my hands on it and inspect it until I was content. On that account, there were no surprises. They removed the gear/pinon angle changing mechanism (probably to save money), and though I don't like that, in truth, it wouldn't have any significant affect on my normal use of the saw

Another interesting aspect of the show was the Gwinnett Woodworkers booth where they had a "photo booth setup", then used those pictures to make scroll saw puzzles. There was a whole crew of scrollers.
              Last edited by hotshot; 04-02-2017, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience Randy. Glad you got to meet Steve Good as well. Maybe next year I can make plans to get down there and look around if hubby can go with me.
                Melanie from East TN

Comment

The Atlanta Woodworking show keeps getting smaller and smaller every year.

Picked up a couple pieces of exotic wood for my puzzles plus some clamps and glue brushes.

Might go back again in a couple years.

Show was at the Cobb Galleria in Atlanta. Signage was nonexistent. Saw some folks outside a building and asked if we were in the right place. Bingo. parking was awful. When we left at 12:30 folks were circling the parking lot looking for a space.

Talked with Steve Good about the new Seyco srollsaw which he was demonstrating. Nice guy- easy to talk with. Hard to keep up a conversation with him as folks came by and wanted their picture taken with him.

I liked the new Seyco saw and offered to buy the one he had there. No dice. He said they might be available next month; awaiting the boat from Taiwan. Not taking orders either. He didn't know if Woodcraft or Rockler would carry the saw. maybe in time. Said he thought there would be a 2 yr warranty.

I asked him about price and he said under a grand. I then said why should I buy the Seyco saw vs the DeWalt at much less $$.. He said durability! If you need a production scrollsaw (like I do) then he said the Seyco would hold up better.

When my current DeWalt craps out I will definitely consider the new Seyco saw. I like it better than the new Jet saw. Blade changing is better on the Seyco saw.

Traffic wasn't bad at all. Location was at I-285/I-75/Cobb parkway. near the new Braves stadium. The I-85 bridge disaster was not a factor.

If anyone has been following the I-85 bridge disaster in Atlanta then you know I-85 is shut down completely in Atlanta - both north bound and south bound lanes. Some homeless person set fire to a chair on top of a shopping cart to smoke crack. The fire spread to PVC pipe nearby and the fire was so intense that it weakened the steel and concrete on the I-85 bridge and the northbound section collapsed completely while the southbound part was seriously damaged. GA State patrol did an excellent job in keeping folks off the bridge before collapse. Now the GA DOT is covering their *** by saying there were "non-combustible" materials stored under the bridge that caught fire. And our wonderful local media just prints what they say. The GA DOT needs to take some remedial middle school science classes! Unbelievable.

Remember what Mark Twain said: if you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; If you read the newspaper, you are misinformed. How true today re the media.

bb

Regards,
                  Brian

visit us at Pickens Puzzles: www.pickenspuzzles.com

Comment

Randy,

Maybe you could post the pics you posted at the scroll saw village. I read a lot of comments about them, but since I'm not a member I couldn't see the pics.

Karl
                    Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Originally posted by KarlB View Post
                      Randy,

Maybe you could post the pics you posted at the scroll saw village. I read a lot of comments about them, but since I'm not a member I couldn't see the pics.

Karl
                      Glad to, here they are:

This photo shows gap in rear of saw between table and back of say. Shouldn't affect anything, but looks awkward.

IMG_0024.JPG

View of new angle tilt mechanism without the gears. I wish they would have left the gears for an easier tilt.

IMG_0027.JPG

Here is the magnetic table cover peeled up on the edge. I would probably ditch the cover, but maybe not.

IMG_0029.JPG

This picture shows the much more dramatic tilt that are possible with the legs of the saw. I'm sure many will love that.

IMG_0030.JPG

My celebrity moment with Steve

IMG_0031.JPG

Comment

Well to me it looks like the table is integrated into the saw. Are there two versions? Bench top and stand?

It doesn't look lie something you'd move around a lot or take to a show.

Karl
                        Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

The Baltimore show was the same way. This year was the worst we have ever been to. If Peachtree wouldn't have been there, the middle would have been empty. We might skip next year.
                          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                            The Baltimore show was the same way. This year was the worst we have ever been to. If Peachtree wouldn't have been there, the middle would have been empty. We might skip next year.
                            Why do you suppose the shows are deteriorating every year? Fewer folks getting into woodworking?

bb
                            Regards,
                            Brian

visit us at Pickens Puzzles: www.pickenspuzzles.com

Comment

When it comes to that gap at the back of the saw, there is technically a dust tray that's supposed to go there. It attaches to the saw via magnets.

To make the saw a table-top model, you use just the extenders on the bottom that allow you to angle the saw, the leg braces, and the top table support. You omit the long parts of the legs.

Best Regards,
                              Bob Duncan
                              Technical Editor, Woodworking/DIY
                              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X