Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transferring patterns to wood

???

How do you transfer your pattern to the wood? One magazine said to spray glue on wood and glue pattern to wood and then do fretwork but how do you get paper pattern off when you're done?

First project, please help!!!! (any other tips helpfull)

Re: transferring patterns to wood

Jeanette, use a LIGHT coat of spray on adhesive. 3M makes a good one but it is expensive. The craft shops usually have less expensive varieties and I use those. If you use a light application, the paper will peal away from the wood when you are finished cuting. Try to get a uniform spray pattern, especially at the edges. I hate it when the pattern lifts up in the middle of a cut because I did not get the adhesive sprayed uniformly. Any remaining adhesive can be removed by light sanding.

Comment

If you goof and the paper really gets stuck on there you can spray it with mineral spirits let it soak for a bit about 5 or 10 minutes usually does it. Then just peel it off. Wipe off the extra glue with a rag and mineral spirits (careful, don't break the fretwork or you'll need the superglue). Let it dry and your good to go.

Comment

I use the 3M glue, but to get the patterns off I use 'Goo Gone'. Coat the paper pretty good, wait 5 Minutes, and the paper should peal right off. Put on another coat, wait 5 minutes and wipe off and any excess glue will be gone. No sanding involved. But dont use 'Goof Off', it is too strong.

Comment

I read about a method where you cover your wood with that clear, 2 in. wide, packing tape first and then glue your pattern to that. When you are finished just peal the tape off your piece and apparently there is no residue to contend with. The author claimed the tape also lubricates your blade which helps prevent burning the wood.
          I haven't had a chance to try this concept but I plan to give it a try, it sounds like a neat idea. If you try it and it don't work please don't shoot the messenger. :

Comment

Hi,just thought I would add my two cents worth.I tried bandaids method,and it worked very well for me.I usually soaked the left over pattern in the mineral spirits,and that method works quite well as well,you just have to make sure you remove all of it if you plan on putting stain or varnish,otherwise your finish ends up splotchy.Take care and Happy scrolling.
            Mark

Comment

Nobody I've ever heard of transfers patterns the way i do. I'm afraid to try the glue method because i think it would cause a mess. I photocopy the patterns and trace them onto the wood with carbon paper. the pattern doesn't move while cutting and you can fix any mistakes before starting. I've used this since day one when i was seven and it's worked for almost 14 years!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X