• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intarsia

What is a Intarsia??

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Re: Intarsia

Intarsia is a way of making a design out of different types of wood cut out and glued togeather on a support. usually it is some sort of recognizable picture (eg: an animal or person) but it could also be a geometric pattern or some such thing. Think of it as mosaic in wood.

Comment

Intarsia is one of the greastest challenges you will ever have. Start small and work yourself up to harder things. Mine never look like the pro's, but so what. I'm not a pro!  It's fun and I think it's very 'forgiving' when working with it.  It really is a good time.       bc

Comment

As an introduction to intarsia and general scroll sawing, check out the book by Patrick Speilman called 'Scroll Saw Segmentation'.  It is similar to intarsia but you use only one large piece of wood, trace the pattern, cut the pieces out, sand, shape, and paint them, and glue them all back together. It's like 'Intarsia for Dummies'! It's really very easy and the results were quite good.

Comment

Intarsia in the Round?

Is it still called intarsia if I glue different woods together for a three dimensional (or fourth or fifth, for that matter) carving?

: ??? :

Comment

well, I am having a problem envisioning exactly what you plan to do but, heck, who cares what it's called if you can express yourself with it! Maybe you have created a new form of scrollsaw art!

Comment

Actually, I was envisioning gluing blocks of different wood together and making an in-the-round carving, or perhaps carving different parts out of different wood types...
              ~Andrew

Comment

:P Gottcha!  I would strongly suggest you keep the grain in the individual pieces all running the same direction if you plan to carve it. But then, it wouldn't be intarsia, it would be 'gluing-different-blocks-of-wood-together-and-carving-them'.

Comment

You never cease to amaze me Capt'n. I would love to get together sometime and swap lies. If you are ever in South West Ne. we could have 'some' time.

Comment

Well, I'm flattered, Big Sid. I'll bet we could make short work of a long piece of wood and drain a few while we do! I don't get many chances to go north but if I'm near your neck of the woods, I'll look you up.

Comment

What is Intarsia?

My definition is: Receiving a beautiful book on Intarsia as a gift.   Laying out a pattern on several pieces of different types of wood.     Spending hours cutting them out with great precision.     Sanding on them for what seems an eternity; trying to fit them together; and sanding some more.  
                      Wondering why they don't fit if they were cut from the same pattern.  ???
                      Sanding some more; throwing all the pieces into a box, saying a few final words over them,  :-X  and placing it on a shelf for six months.  >
                      Finally figuring out what was wrong; : I am a carver, not an Intarsiar.    

Comment

Oh, no, RIck!!! And I have just been considering trying to do some intarsia....lol...now I'm thinking I might be better off just leaving that wood in the box.

Teri

Comment

I got as far as the book and decided to go fishing instead.

Comment

LOL...oh boy...there must be someone in this group who has some wonderful tips on how to do Intarsia well. I would really like to give it a try - maybe to do a wooden quilt or something...I think it would be cool.

Somebody help! Lol

Teri

Comment

Hey King-of blades........if you manage to get that last piece of wood glued onto or into the 4th or 5th dimension, I think you're either standing to close to your glue pot or ya need more ventilation in your shop! sounds like an interesting concept, though.

Al

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X