Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Intarsia

intarsia is fun . just make a lot of copys of the pattern and use them to cut the differnt pieces.htay fit like a puzzel?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Intarsia is shown on the cover of the spring copy of ScrollSawWorkShop. With Intarsia, you'll make striking, three dimensional designs using a band saw or scroll saw. The technique conveys incredible depth, perspective, and visual appeal much as painting does. But instead of paint, various shades and kinds of thinly cut wood are inlaid with subtle arrangements on the grain to bring a work to life. You'll be able to suggest mountains off in a distance, the ruffles of a fabic, and undulating waves. It is a very rewarding and imaginative type of woodworking. You start off with a simple pattern and learn as you perfect your way of doing it. Just as you do with carving or scroll work.
    Happy scrolling
    Chuck D

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hey King-of blades........if you manage to get that last piece of wood glued onto or into the 4th or 5th dimension, I think you're either standing to close to your glue pot or ya need more ventilation in your shop! sounds like an interesting concept, though.

Al

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

LOL...oh boy...there must be someone in this group who has some wonderful tips on how to do Intarsia well. I would really like to give it a try - maybe to do a wooden quilt or something...I think it would be cool.

Somebody help! Lol

Teri

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I got as far as the book and decided to go fishing instead.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Oh, no, RIck!!! And I have just been considering trying to do some intarsia....lol...now I'm thinking I might be better off just leaving that wood in the box.

Teri

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

What is Intarsia?

My definition is: Receiving a beautiful book on Intarsia as a gift.   Laying out a pattern on several pieces of different types of wood.     Spending hours cutting them out with great precision.     Sanding on them for what seems an eternity; trying to fit them together; and sanding some more.  
    Wondering why they don't fit if they were cut from the same pattern.  ???
    Sanding some more; throwing all the pieces into a box, saying a few final words over them,  :-X  and placing it on a shelf for six months.  >
    Finally figuring out what was wrong; : I am a carver, not an Intarsiar.    

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Well, I'm flattered, Big Sid. I'll bet we could make short work of a long piece of wood and drain a few while we do! I don't get many chances to go north but if I'm near your neck of the woods, I'll look you up.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

You never cease to amaze me Capt'n. I would love to get together sometime and swap lies. If you are ever in South West Ne. we could have 'some' time.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

:P Gottcha!  I would strongly suggest you keep the grain in the individual pieces all running the same direction if you plan to carve it. But then, it wouldn't be intarsia, it would be 'gluing-different-blocks-of-wood-together-and-carving-them'.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Actually, I was envisioning gluing blocks of different wood together and making an in-the-round carving, or perhaps carving different parts out of different wood types...
    ~Andrew

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

well, I am having a problem envisioning exactly what you plan to do but, heck, who cares what it's called if you can express yourself with it! Maybe you have created a new form of scrollsaw art!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Intarsia in the Round?

Is it still called intarsia if I glue different woods together for a three dimensional (or fourth or fifth, for that matter) carving?

: ??? :

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

As an introduction to intarsia and general scroll sawing, check out the book by Patrick Speilman called 'Scroll Saw Segmentation'.  It is similar to intarsia but you use only one large piece of wood, trace the pattern, cut the pieces out, sand, shape, and paint them, and glue them all back together. It's like 'Intarsia for Dummies'! It's really very easy and the results were quite good.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Intarsia is one of the greastest challenges you will ever have. Start small and work yourself up to harder things. Mine never look like the pro's, but so what. I'm not a pro!  It's fun and I think it's very 'forgiving' when working with it.  It really is a good time.       bc

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X