Advice, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice, please

Could I ask, please, for somebody who knows something about scroll sawing to look at the white Santa on green background -- the one with the garland of snowflakes - on
    http://community.webshots.com/user/nancymo44 ?

I need more of those snowflakes :-/ . Last year I made them by stacking up 13 (I think) layers of 1/32' aircraft plywood nailed together with tiny brads and then cutting out the flakes with a tiny blade. I don't remember the size or tooth. Needless to say, the bottom one or two flakes always broke and sometimes I broke the entire stack. It was a miserable job. Any suggestions?

Re: Advice, please

Nancy, I know next to nothing about scroll sawing, but if I were crazy enough to try that project, I would do this:
    Starting with one solid piece of wood (with very straight grain). I would cut the snowflake pattern, and then slice off snowflakes like slicing bananas for my breakfast cereal.

I would also use a fine toothed blade, and go slow.

It sounds good in theory!!!!

Comment

Thanks, Rick - that's worth a try..... but *I* can't go any slower. You know me - if I moved any slower, I'd take root.

Comment

I've been pondering (big word for a bubba) this since reading it last night. Have you tried a zero clearance insert around you blade. It seems to me if the bottom one or two are the ones giving you grief if must be from lack of support from the bottom side. You could also put a piece of 1/8' ply on the bottom just as a sacraficial lamb so to speak. You also might try a jewlers blade they are super fine I don't use them because I can't see which way to put them in the saw (Old eyes). I think (hope) the zero clearance insert is the fix though.

Comment

another thought from someone who knows little:

perhaps some finish on the thin strips might strengthen the wood (like the super glue trick to firm up a delicate bit for carving). Also maybe masking tape to hold the stack together and saw though the tape.

Dave

Comment

The tape idea sounds good. If you don't like masking tape, try clear packing tape. I use it all the time and it works very well for me.
            Good Luck

Comment

Try compressing the thin pieces between 1/4 or stiff 1/8 plywood top and bottom. I would probably use screws in waste area to hold tight together. Possibly wrap with packing tape. The ply on each side should stop the flexing and breaking of the thin stock.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X