Moose Antlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose Antlers

It's been real quiet in this forum. I really like the lay out here.

Any way to my question. Anyone ever scroll on moose antlers? If so what advice can you give me? What would be the best blade for the job?

TIA for any help that anyone can give me.

Lindy
    ???

Re: Moose Antlers

Hi Linda,

You can use any blade that you also use for cutting hard wood. A skip tooth blade is a little more aggressive than a double tooth blade and might be a little better because you have better control.
    There is one thing I didn't like when I cut some. It was the smell :-[

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike for the responce.

By the way my name is Lindy...

Lindy

Comment

Hi Lindy,
        My apology about the name :-[
        Mike

Comment

Hi Lindy;
          There is a fellow in Creston BC near where I live that does the most fantastic moose and elk antler work you have ever seen. If you are ever through this way, they are must see works of art. He owns the Orchard Valley Glass business and the antler work is just a hobby for him. He does them entirely with a dremel tool with dentist bits. They are elaborate 3-D scenes of wildlife animals and trees. Perhaps I will ask him if I can take a few pictures of his work. I did some custom scrollsawing for him a while back for some huge shelf brackets that were not actually used for shelves but for decorations in 4 corners of some window openings.He dosn't do any scrolling but he sure is a master at what he does on the antlers with a dremel tool.
          W.Y.

Comment

Here Ya Go Lindy

My freind does these with just a dremel tool.
            I have nine different pictures of his work. You can see some different ones on the general carving forum in this site.
            W.Y.

Comment

Hi Bill,

Great pictures. 8) Did you ask him about the smell when he works with them.

Mike

Comment

Mike;
                He didn't mention the smell but he said he has to replace bearings in his dremel tool frequetly.
                W.Y.

Comment

It has been a busy week with the passing of my GrandMother and lots of family gatherings.
                  I didn't have much chance to get here to say thanks to you guys for the answers and pictures to the antler question.
                  Your friend does some awesome work with the dremel tool. Work like that would go over really well in this area. I wish I had that kind of talent.
                  Great job on your boat William. Is it sea worthy yet?

Lindy
                  8)

Comment

Lindy;
                    I just finished three coats of urethane paint on the outside of it after fiberglassing all the seams. Now I will apply 3 or 4 coats of spar varnish to the inside and I'll show a picture when it is done.
                    W.Y.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X