Scroll Saw baskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll Saw baskets

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone here does the scroll saw baskets. I have seen a couple different types where you scroll each piece then glue together, and also the spiral baskets. Anyone have any good books to look for to find patterns like these. I also wondered if anyone had a free pattern of either of these types so I could give it a try. Also what type of blade would you use since on the spiral baskets you wouldn't want a wide kerf?

Jesse

p.s. I just had to add that smiley dude because he looks cool! Makes me think of spring which we need!
    http://www.scrollsawwoodart.com

Woodwilldo - I have made several scroll saw baskets. I make the type that are cut and then glued together. Two of the best books that I have are both published by Fox Chapel. Making wooden baskets on your scroll saw by John Nelson and William Guimond, and Scroll saw basketweave projects by John Nelson and William Guimond. Both books have some basic instructions and many, many patterns. Good luck with your attempts. By the way stack cut baskets seem to sell well at craft shows.

Comment

Thanks woodenfish I was looking at amazon and saw both of those books. I am going to check with my library to see if they got them so i can take a look at them. I thought after looking at some of the stack cut baskets that they look pretty sharp.

Jesse
      http://www.scrollsawwoodart.com

Comment

I think Marsha does some basket work if I remember correctly.
        Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I'm hesitant to do this since I make a very small amount of money from the sales of these, but if I've broken some rule I'm sure one of the moderators will fix it. Scroller Ltd publishes 2 books that my Dad wrote about making scroll saw baskets. The ones he made are beautiful and very functional. The books are called Scroll Saw Basket Book Vol 1 and 2. They take some patience to do, but I believe the results are very worthwhile.

Comment

I just made a couple of baskets based on a Patrick Spielman pattern that I reduced by 50% They waste no wood (or very little)
            I have also done a small woven basket boxes by John Nelson they waste a lot of wood. If you want to see larger pictures of these look at my gallery pics.
            Attached Files
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I love baskets and yours are very nice Rolf. I am not ready to venture in the making of them yet. I still am at the admiring stage.
              Diane
              Dragon
              Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
              Owner of a Dewalt 788
              PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Originally posted by Rivari
                I think Marsha does some basket work if I remember correctly.
                Sorry Rivari, I don't do baskets, I'm into compound cutting.
                Marsha
                LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Nice job Rolf, wish I could see a larger pic of the bowl on the left. Is this type of cutting done in layers and glued together? I think I would like to incorporate it into a lathe turned vase or weed pot or something. Anyway from what I can see, Good Job!
                  Troy

Scrollin' with DeWalt DW788

Comment

basket Patterns

Book title is Collapsible Basket Patterns by Rick And Karen LOngabaugh
                    published by FOX CHAPEL Lancaster,PA 17604-7948 118 pages so bet you can find something you like in here good luck look forward to seeing it
                    Jerry

Comment

Troy,
                      There are some larger pictures in my gallery on this site.
                      Also if you go to our Long Island woodworkers club site I have a gallery there also. While there check out some of our other club members work. They were made with a variety of materials including plywood. They were all made from the same pattern.
                      http://www.liwoodworkers.org/gallery...n.asp?m_id=199

The attached picture is a group of baskets done by our scroll club members.
                      My basket is not there. I shrunk mine by 50%.
                      They are easy to make as it is only series of concentric rings, great scrolling practice. My basket was 1/8 baltic birch with walnut top and bottom rings (turned on my lathe)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Rolf; 03-20-2007, 07:08 AM.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• dottyblues
                        Reply to Pattern Vault
                        by dottyblues
                        Thank you everyone especially KarlB for finding the pattern.
                        Today, 12:20 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        So after much debating, I bought a Sawstop table saw--the 36" contractor version, and now have a roll-your-eyes story too.
                        I got a few discounts from my favorite hardwood store for buying from them. Yay!
                        In a small shop I couldn't live without the mobile base.
                        I also added the...
                        Yesterday, 10:49 PM
                      • will8989
                        Supermax
                        by will8989
                        Bruce and the tech from Laguna finally caught up with each other after almost 2 weeks of phone tag. Bruce ran the sander for the tech and after checking a few things, it was determined it’s the bushing, probably. They are going to send a bushing for Bruce to replace it. If he has a problem replacing...
                        Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Help help
                        by will8989
                        Bruce lets it soak in on the cardholders, takes 24 hrs. I let everything drip for a few minutes then wipe excess off. 50/50 takes longer to dry than 40/60. I usually move everything upstairs and turn the ceiling fan on to to help it soak in. This finish takes 3-4 days to dry enough to take to shows....
                        Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                      • KarlB
                        Reply to Pattern Vault
                        by KarlB
                        Here are the ones I made 9 years ago:

Karl...
                        Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                      Working...
                      X