X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of scroll saw is this?

Hello everyone:
    this is my first post in this forum.

I have found this scroll saw in a local shop catalog. It is very cheap (34,99 euros). I don't know if I should buy it.
    (note that now I don't have money for a more expensive saw.)

I am a newbie, and I don't know much about scroll saws. This would be be my first scroll saw.

I've researched a bit, and it seems that this scroll saw is not of a standard type. It is not a parallel arm design, and it seems it is not a C-Arm type either. What kind of saw is this? maybe is an old "rigid arm" saw?

thanks for any advice

Last edited by ScrollNewbie; 03-18-2007, 11:20 AM.

Welcome to the forum. I've never seen anything like this. More than likely, someone here will be able to recognize it. If not, there are a few things you should find out from the company. It appears to be variable speed, but substantiate that. Also, make sure it accepts 5" pinless blades. Inquire about the ease of blade changing. These are probably the main features to be concerned with. My guess is, within 36 hours, someone will come along with more knowledge.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

It looks like there may be a return spring in that cylinder on the top. That would give the blade a straight up and down motion like the Eclipse has.
      Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Hello Minnesota:

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, it is a variable speed machine. The specs say from 750 to 1500 rpm and I guess the knob you can se in the photo is for that purpose.

I cannot have more information because this is one of these supermarkets that bring special weekly offers of "no brand" articles. They usually have very few units. sometimes are good products, sometimes are not.

This machine will be available next Saturday, and then, hopefully, I will be able to see it in the shop (but I guess I won't be able to open the box to see what is inside).

Until then, lets see if someone knows anything about it.

Comment

Hello WoodButcher:

Yes, I also guess it uses a spring on top (not sure though).

According to the Wikipedia:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll_saw

>>>>
          The rigid arm scroll saw, which was very popular up until the 1970s, but is no longer made, has a single-piece cast iron frame. The blade is attached to a pitman arm on the bottom which pulls the blade down, and a spring in the upper arm pulls the blade back up again. This resulted in a significant weakness in that tension on the blade changed with every stroke of the blade. Modern scroll saws are all "constant tension" saws.
          <<<<

Maybe it is one of these?

It says that it is an old design, with tension problems, and they are no longer made. Are they very bad?
          Last edited by ScrollNewbie; 03-18-2007, 11:45 AM.

Comment

@Minnesota:
            it says the blades are easy to replace, but nothing else.

Comment

Hi ScrollNewbie, i don't know anything about this saw but welcome to the forum anyway. Can you tell us where you live and we might be able to suggest another saw for you.
              kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Hi Pitbull:

I live in Spain.
                But remember that I cannot afford a more expensive saw right now.
                If you guys are going to suggest the Dewalt Dw788, I think this will have to wait for now

Comment

Never saw one like that before.
                  Check me out on the web:
                  http://www.kerrysworld.com

Comment

My Spanish is pretty weak but from what I can interpret the table is only about 8"x14" which is pretty small. Also the spacing between the table and upper blade clamp appears to be about 2". I can't determine if it takes pinless blades which is also a consideration. The saw appears to be designed to cut small work much like the little Proxxon saw. I think you would "outgrow" that saw in a very short while and want to move on to something larger. It looks like a miniature version of some of the huge old commercial scroll saws I have seen in photos. Also, as was mentioned before, the lack of constant tension might become an issue. Welcome to the forum and I hope you find a saw soon that fits your needs. BTW...where in Spain are you? I had the pleasure of visiting that beautiful country while in the Navy.
                    Last edited by Neal Moore; 03-18-2007, 12:49 PM.
                    If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Hi NealMoore:

I am in the province of Navarre. the capital of Navarre is Pamplona,
                      which is famous because of the "run of the bulls". No, I don't run in front of the bulls, hehehe.

the measures in inches you have posted are correct. The vertical clearance is 2 inches.

For me, these measures are enough, I think. At least for now.
                      I don't mind if this machine has limitations. I will only use it from time to time,
                      to cut simple patterns on thin plastic sheets.

What worries me is that it could be a worthless machine, difficult to operate, and that the blades break easily.
                      Also, I need to do tight curves.

Is the lack of constant tension a big issue? I think I read yesterday somewhere that the blades can break easily.

Comment

There are several considerations when choosing a scroll saw. Among the most important are: ease of blade change, will it accept pinless blades, excess vibration, variable speed and again, constant tension. The tension issue could, in fact, contribute to frequent blade breaks, especially the smaller (thinner) blades. The saw you showed us might suit your purposes but until you have operated it there's no way of knowing for sure. As far as tight turns, that's pretty much a matter of practice to develope the technique. I never was in your area in Spain. I spent lots of time in Barcelona, Madrid, Malaga, Rota and really enjoyed Palma!!! Good luck with your search for a saw. Hope you find one you will like.
                        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Hi Neal Moore!

Thanks for your guidelines. I will have them in mind.

I have found a similar machine in amazon.de:

http://www.amazon.de/T-I-P-DKS-Tisch...4320200&sr=1-1

I have done Altavista translations (very poor).
                          Buyers are not satisfied in general. They say that the assembly of the machine is problematic and the speed control is faulty.

Also I have found another similar machine in ebay:
                          http://cgi.ebay.de/ELEKTRONIK-DEKUPI...QQcmdZViewItem

The advertisement says it weights 23 KILOS (50 pounds)!!
                          It also says
                          "The easiest saw blade change without complicated screws"
                          so I assume this means that it is not possible to attach pinless blades.

Hummm, maybe it is not a good idea to buy it.

Comment

Wecome to the gang ,I've never seen one like that either,But I do know that Lowes sells a scrollsaw for about 100.00 I don't know how good it is though.Jerry
                            Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

@Duke:

I found it:
                              http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...600&lpage=none

does it work (reasonably well)?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Today, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Today, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X