Any ideas to make these straight??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas to make these straight??

Hello everyone! I haven't contributed to the boards very much lately! Been busy and tired with work! Now I need some ideas how I can get this done! I'm making some little trinket boxes for the quilt retreat I'm going on and had the great idea that I would make the handles out of old spools. The whole spool was too big for a handle. It didn't look right at all. So I cut them in half and now I need to figure out how to get them flat and level!! Easier said than done for me. The belt sander didn't work too well as you can tell. Some of them are pretty lop-sided!!

Spools.jpg

Spools2.jpg

So, put on your thinking cap and let me know what you think I can do to get these flat and even! Thanks so much!]

Cathy in NE
    Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

I'd try clamping them to a good fence on a band saw and cut them that way.
    Check me out on the web:
    http://www.kerrysworld.com

Comment

Since they are already cut in half this idea may be a bit late, but you can probably still work something out. I would try to chuck them up on a piece of all thread or a long bolt and mount it in a drill press. With the drill running you could place your pencil against the spinning spool and make a perfectly level and straight line around it. From there take it back to the belt sander and very carefully sand down to the line you just made.

Good luck and I hope this idea helps.
      Jim
      DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Kerry, I don't have a band saw!! That is one thing that is on my wish list.

Jim, Hhhhmmm, that is an idea. If I can figure out how to get it in the chuck, I may try that!! Thanks, Cathy
        Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

A simple jig will ensure the pieces remain flat
          Attached Files
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Carl, I actually think I could do this!! And the picture is excellent!! How did you know I would need a picture!?!? Thanks so much!!

Cathy in NE
            Cathy in NE

Comment

The picture was easier than writing the method I did it for my sake more than yours
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

That's an excellent little jig Carl, well done.
                kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Great idea Canadianscroller. How do you come up with these ideas.

Comment

You must have a disk sander too....usually these come with the stationary belt sanders. The disk sander will have a miter slot and miter guide/T bar. All you need is a piece of wood that is the same thickness as the rim of the spool sticks out from the spool itself. you put that spacer board on the miter slide and that keeps your spool straight..then push it into the disk. I can't make you a picture for this very simple method...but maybe Carl can understand what I'm saying and draw a picture?
                    Jeff Powell

Comment

I think this is what Jeff means but he can correct me if he is wrong.
                      Attached Files
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

I don't suppose you have a wood lathe either.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X