Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Patterns

I have a question for ya all.
    Awhile ago I was browsing ebay and there was a guy on there selling his scroll saw patterns. He had some very nice patterns for doll furniture that I was interested in. By the time I made up my mind, the patterns were gone, I don't know if they sold or were withdrawn. I purchased the exact same patterns in a surprise pack from Berry Basket about a month after seeing them on ebay.
    Now to my question, was it legal for him to sell those patterns? There was no information about the patterns, e.g. who the designer was or where the patterns came from originally.
    Just curious how everyone feels about this.
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Good question Marsha!
    There would be no question if he were selling back issues of SSW&C; once you pay for the magazine, you have the right to re-sell the issue (with the understanding that you do not have any extra copies of the patterns that were in the magazine.

But since the Berry Basket does all electronic patterns, he would have to prove that he had gotten rid of the electronic copies of his patterns if he were selling the hard copies. That just seems kinda underhanded to me...

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I do feel sorry for designers. For every design they sell there are probably 3 or 4 "Borrowed". If that is kept up there won't be anyone selling their patterns. I really like Charlie's Dearing patterns but I think he has stopped selling due to the excessive "borrowing" of them. Too, too bad.
      Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
      Jean De La Bruyere...

l
      Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
        Good question Marsha!
        There would be no question if he were selling back issues of Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts&C; once you pay for the magazine, you have the right to re-sell the issue (with the understanding that you do not have any extra copies of the patterns that were in the magazine.

But since the Berry Basket does all electronic patterns, he would have to prove that he had gotten rid of the electronic copies of his patterns if he were selling the hard copies. That just seems kinda underhanded to me...

Bob
        Berry Basket does have pattern books out and I believe individual patterns too.
        Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

If they were selling original hard copies (or entire books) again, there would be no problems... but it is not right for them to sell copies!

Bob
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I honestly don't know whether he was selling originals or copies. It simply said he was selling his collection of scroll saw patterns.
            BobD do you mean I can sell my entire collection of SSW&C mags, and not get into trouble? HMMM
            Marsha

Comment

As long as you do not keep ANY copies of any of the patterns (on paper, on your computer, or in ANY form...)

But I think you'd be crazy to do that <GRIN>

Bob
              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckD
                I really like Charlie's Dearing patterns but I think he has stopped selling due to the excessive "borrowing" of them. Too, too bad.
                Chuck, FYI Charlie does have his patterns for sale again, Chuck - I'm glad to see - they're on www.bullrunart.com
                Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
                  As long as you do not keep ANY copies of any of the patterns (on paper, on your computer, or in ANY form...)

But I think you'd be crazy to do that <GRIN>

Bob
                  Well Then! I'll just have to keep my mags cause I sure don't want to give up the patterns too.
                  Marsha

Comment

If we could only get reprints of the missing issues then we wouldn't have to search on EBay...
                    Diane
                    Dragon
                    Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                    Owner of a Dewalt 788
                    PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Thanks Ian, he does do nice work!!
                      Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                      Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                      Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X