Wood Stacking & Blade Selection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Stacking & Blade Selection?

Need some advice. I'm wanting to start on a JZ pattern that I've been holding on to for a couple of years now. "Engine 86" He suggests stacking at least three 1/8" to 1/4" plywood piece together and use Flying Dutchman 2/0 spiral blades. Not questioning what he is suggesting, I'm just not comfortable with spiral blades. (yet)

My main concern is if I use non spiral blades should I still stack the wood to help support the fragile pieces? Haven't stacked any of my work yet but this pattern seems to have longer, thinner cuts. Wondering if I should get comfortable with spiral blades and put this one off a little longer? Or plow ahead?
    Last edited by tcleckler; 03-06-2007, 01:20 PM.
    Troy

Scrollin' with DeWalt DW788

Troy, I cut "Engine 86" from one piece of 1/8" birch plywood with straight blades, only had one mishap in a place that shouldn't have broken. I used a blade a little too long, it was on the cow catcher. I soon learned to keep a sharp blade in the saw while cutting that one. Click on the picture to make it larger. I fastened N guage track to the frame.

Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Troy, forgot to tell you that I used 2/0 28 t.p.i. reverse tooth blades. I cut all the smallest pieces first working my way up to the larger ones. I taped the cut pieces back in place in the fragile areas. The most difficult one I have cut so far. Have fun with it , it is a challenge. There are a lot of long floppy ones to cut.
      Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I would always stack cut something like this for several reasons (I usually cut 3 up 1/8). 1. the support. 2. It gives you more control. (easier to cut thicker than a single thin piece. 3 Most importantly someone will see it, love it , and have to have it. So now you either sell the other 2 or make someone very happy with an awsome gift.

For Jeff stuff I use the FD "new 2/0" spirals. Although in some areas I use the straight blades.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Nice cutting Mick, and the track around the frame is very "ENGINIOUS".
          kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Great cutting Mick - and that's a a very nice pattern. I like the track round the frame too - an inspired touch ...

Is it just me or do other people think that JZ does himself a disservice by having such small pics on his site. I understand the pattern theft issue but I find a lot of his patterns aren't big enough for me to get an idea of what they really look like ..

I've ordered a couple after seeing other members pics on here, rather than seeing the pics on his site ...

Oh Troy - sorry to go off on a tangent on the thread - beginner with spirals here too - but I've found no problem cutting 2x 1/4" birch ply with 2/0 spirals - other than the odd bit of human error ..lol Cutting 2 stacked is easier than cutting 1 x 1/4" in my opinion, aprt from the fact that as regards time and effort you may as well have at least one extra cutting ...
            Last edited by PuzzledMoose; 03-06-2007, 05:18 PM.
            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Walker
              I fastened N guage track to the frame.
              I love the frame idea! Great job cutting too!
              Mia

We are the music makers.
              We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

Mick, looks good, excited about getting started on mine. Thanks guy's for all the information, I'll take it all in & start working on it soon.
                Troy

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with Rolfs' reasoning which is why I suggest stacking... Of course you can cut it in a single piece if you choose to do so

Will be interested to hear if you decided to go with flat blades or spirals.

You may consider Rolfs' suggestion there too... for the areas you decide to cut with the spiral try the "NEW" FD spiral (less aggressive, easier to control and cleaner cut) and then use a flat blade for areas you aren't comfortable with the spiral.

Spirals do require a different "touch" but with some practice I am sure you will get the hang of them.

PuzzledMoose going to send you a PM about the images... let me know if you don't get it

Good Luck Troy, please share a pic of the finished cutting!

Jeff Zaffino
                  Shadez
                  Advanced Scroll Saw Patterns

Comment

Thanks Jeff, always get great advice here. I'm going to start this weekend on it. I think I'm going to go straight blades on this one though.
                    Troy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                      by will8989
                      This market is run a little different than most. All monies collected go back into the market. Each month they put on a different event to draw in people. The budget is usually $600 in the busy months. The pavilion is well maintained with sides that pull down in the colder months. The only time Sunday...
                      Today, 01:41 AM
                    • cwmagee
                      Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                      by cwmagee
                      A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                      Yesterday, 07:28 PM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Rolf
                      Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                      That is...
                      Yesterday, 08:15 AM
                    • Jimern
                      by Jimern
                      The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                      Yesterday, 06:29 AM
                    • will8989
                      by will8989
                      The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                      10-20-2020, 11:10 PM
                    Working...
                    X