Foot powered scroll saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot powered scroll saw

Have enjoyed reading the posts. Have not posted earlier. Have been scrolling about 7 years. I do mostly 3D ornamentsand fret music boxes. Have purchased Rick Hutchesons foot powered scroll saw pattern - any suggestions or tips on making this a successful project. Thanks

Wooden fish:

I have been active on this forum for several years, and I just don't recall anyone on this forum reporting any progress they had with doing Rick's foot pedal powered scroll saw.

I recall on another scroll saw site some one commented on they tried to make one, but I don't remember much else.

I trust you know that the arms should be made from fruit wood, like apple, pear, or peach wood. Any wood that has a lot of weight (from fruit or nuts) that the tree must support and the branches bend under the weight from.

Great attraction to craft show booths I have read. Best of luck.

Phil

Comment

I purchased the same plans but have yet to start making it. With Spring right around the corner I hope to have this project well underway! Please keep us posted on your progress and best of luck!
      Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Thanks for the advise. Didn't think about using fruit wood for the arms of the saw. Will keep you posted as to my progress. Thanks again for your help

Comment

I have an old treadle sewing machine that will someday be a saw.
          As for the arms, I have several articles where they use BBPly for that.
          One of which uses an inverted T shape for the arms.
          Both sections of the T made of the ply.
          This looks like a stable approach. Of course there will always be some flex in the arms but I think a simple T beam or I beam construction would minimize that without adding too much mass.

You could also check out ChrisPuzzles meccano saw with a similar principle

The saw that Rick has plans for could easily be modified if it was required.
          I can't comment if it needs any mods, I have never built it.
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks Canadianscroller. You guys have been most helpful. I reallyenjoy reading the posts. Everytime I read I learn something new. Have a great day.

Comment

You could also check out ChrisPuzzles meccano saw with a similar principle

The saw that Rick has plans for could easily be modified if it was required.
              I can't comment if it needs any mods, I have never built it.[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting looking saw. Could you give some more info ?
              Maybe a link to his site.

Thanks
              Flint

Comment

Originally posted by flint

That's an interesting looking saw. Could you give some more info ?
                Maybe a link to his site.

Thanks
                Flint
                Chris hasn't got a site AFAIK but you could send him a private message on here, Flint. Just search for Chrispuzzle in the member list.
                Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Hi Flint

The saw was out and about last weekend at a Meccano club meeting where it was sawing the soft aero-modelling plywood I mentioned a while back with ease. The consensus among my engineer friends was that as long as it wasn't just balsa wood, it was a "proper" saw.

I am not sure what other details to give. The blade clamps pivot and the arrangmeent at the rear of the arms is a turnbuckle which produces the tension. I find that although the arms can wobble from side to side a lot, it doesn't matter greatly as the kerf holds the blade true and in any case, with any saw the blade bends more than you should be pushing it. It does bind quite easily but if you stop and pull back into the kerf a little then it mostly frees itself.

It still needs to be given a more solid frame and base so as to minimise vibration and allow me to run the motor at full power. Then we will really see what sort of muscle $5 will buy in Taiwan these days...

Chris
                  "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                    Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by will8989
                    Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                    Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by will8989
                    Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                    Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by will8989
                    He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                    Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Sundays market
                    by will8989
                    We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                    Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                  Working...
                  X