1st Wooden Letter Opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Wooden Letter Opener

Here's my first attempt. Pattern came from a Spielman book. Wood is 1/4" solid cherry (I think). Cut w/ a #9 on the outside and a #5 on fretwork. Finished with BLO. Length is about 7 3/4".

Tapering the blade area wasn't as hard as I thought but will still take a bit of practice for best results. Also had trouble finding a good font for the Letter and finally settled on an Old English style.
    Attached Files
    Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
    Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Mike,
    Very nice work.
    Doc249HMCS

Excalibur 21, and a Dremel 1680

Comment

Great work Mike
      Charlie
      "Everything Happens for a Reason"
      Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Neat little project Mike. But is it sharp enough!?

Paul S.

Comment

Looks good, Mike - so how DID you shape it?
          Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Sharp enough to cleanly split a folded sheet of 20lb paper. I think the trick there is to use hard wood so the edge will hold.

Shaping was done on a 1" belt sander. First, I drew a pencil line down the middle of both edges to serve as a guide. I used a straight edge for that but just eye-balled it. I gradually sanded down each edge to that line. Then with very light pressure I rocked the blade back and forth to round off both sides.

I've got another done in a slightly different pattern that I'll upload later. BLO is drying.
            Mike

Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

Comment

Mike, That turned out really well. And just think you were worried about shaping it. Steve
              If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
              My Gallery
              [email protected]

Comment

Looks wonderful Mike!! I trick I've learned from making all the pocket knives lately is to coat the blade with CA Glue (super glue is actually cyanoacrylate (or something like that)) LOL Talk about adding some extra strength to the edge. I do the sanding with a belt sander, clean it up and touch it up with elbow driven sander and then use the brush on CA Glue. It's Locktite brand from the local hardware store. Let the glue dry, it'll soak in and really seal up the grain, then touch up again with sandpaper and steel wool. It doesn't seem to affect the oil finish but the edge stays on the blade wonderfully. It's a common practice with pen turners and carvers to use CA glue and I don't make a knife now without it.

Andy
                Shoot for the moon. If you miss you'll be headed for a star! www.80artdesigns.com

Comment

Thanks for the glue tip, Andy. I'll have to find some and try it. I plan on making more openers, perhaps with logos or images like planes. Right now I'm try to find a use for some small scrap wood so the designs will be relatively small.

I Google CA Glue and found it sold at Hobby Lobby. Theycarry two viscosities: thin and medium. Which is suitable for the opener?

What kind of wood do you use for your knives?
                  Last edited by MikeDingas; 02-19-2007, 07:48 PM.
                  Mike

Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

Comment

Great work!
                    Mia

We are the music makers.
                    We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

Very nice work Mike.

I like the choice of font.

Which Spielman book did you get the pattern from?

Regards,
                      Marcel
                      http://marleb.com
                      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Definitely the thin CA glue Mike. It dries really fast, obviously, but in the 5 or 10 minutes it takes to dry the thinner the better so it can soak into the grain. Then when you finish sand to remove any streaks, drips, or runs, only sand what's necessary and you'll have the added strength. I haven't been able to find anything locally over a 4 oz. bottle and I prefer the brush on. It's just a bit easier to control where it goes on, but does require a bit more sanding. I'd encourage you to practice on a scrap and that'll get rid of one small piece you don't know what to do with. LOL

Andy
                        Shoot for the moon. If you miss you'll be headed for a star! www.80artdesigns.com

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel in Longueuil
                          Very nice work Mike.

I like the choice of font.

Which Spielman book did you get the pattern from?

Regards,
                          Marcel
                          It's here, Marcel ..

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/inf....htm#post65331
                          Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

nice job. Looks great

Comment

Some great work there Mike.
                              Lou
                              Lou

Craftsman 18 in.Variable Speed Scroll Saw-21609

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Today, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Today, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X