Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Spiral Blade Scrolling....Really Scrolling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Spiral Blade Scrolling....Really Scrolling?

First off! I've never really tried spiral blades before, and doubt I ever will, as Intarsia is my thing, but recently I read a review in a newspaper article about a portrait artist and she mentioned that she use's spiral saw blades in a scroll saw and a mini-router to do he portraits. She further stated, that the cutting with the spiral blade scroll saw was more rasping than true scrollng!

She mentioned that the mini-router with a tiny router bit inserted into the many drill holes helped to speed up the process.

Is this the normal methods used? Just wondering!

Rick

Old Scrollers Never Die...They Just Saw Away!

I can just about see where the comment about spiral blades rasping rather than cutting comes from though it's very controlled rasping ...

I never heard of anyone using a small router bit before - and can't see an advantage ... ?

It's like drilling a huge blade entry hole with a larger drill bit for large areas - it might remove more wood but what's the point if you're cutting around the perimeter of the area anyhow? The only point I can see at all in using a larger drill bit than necessary at all is that larger bits break less easily ...
    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Does a bear crap in the woods? Of course its scrolling' at least where the spirals are concerned.

Comment

A spiral blade is a regular flat blade what has been twisted before it was hardened.
        It is scrolling. Just ask Jeff Zaffino.
        Mike
        SD Mike

Comment

Why is this matter of importance to an intarsian, Rick?

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

well to saw means to cut and to rasp means to scrape, so the cutting action of any saw is due to rasping.
            I think of a rasp as a "roughing out" tool and a saw as a more precise instrument.
            There is no doubt in my mind that spiral blades saw.
            I have used a straight blade to rasp before though.
            Now that everything is as clear as mud I hope I didnt rub anyone the wrong way.

There are times when I use either blade. If only one blade was ever required we would not have crosscut and rip blades on handsaws.
            Best advice is to master all the blades and tools you can, then when a situation arises you will know which tool to use and when.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

To me that question is akin to asking if using watercolors is really painting. Of course it's scrolling.
              I wonder if by a mini-router she meant a dremel mounted in a plunge router base. This is what I use to drill my holes. Many folks who do portraits prefer spirals though I'm not one of them (right Mike? hehehehe).
              Kevin
              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
                Why is this matter of importance to an intarsian, Rick?

Gill

Gill, Because a forum like this is also a tool of education and I inquired and received reasonable educated answers. As far as the Intarsian remark...I drive a pickup truck also, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to know about other vehicles.

Thanks,
                Rick
                Old Scrollers Never Die...They Just Saw Away!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                  by will8989
                  None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                  Today, 12:20 AM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                  The bags seem easier on the surface.
                  But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                  Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by will8989
                  Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                  Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  by Sandy Oaks
                  As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                  Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by NC Scroller
                  I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                  Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                Working...
                X