Problems with Scrolling Internal Cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Scrolling Internal Cuts

I am relatively new to scroll sawing and was given a Ryobi 16 inch VS saw as a gift. I've had some success with basic scroll sawing but am having problems when trying to do some internal cuts. The arm of the saw does not move so after releasing the top of the blade and threading the blade through a small hole, besides a lot of frustration, I get a lot of bent blades,which doesn't help my scroll sawing. What am I doing wrong ? What are the proper steps to follow when working with internal cuts ? AND Do higher quality saws have a movable arm to simplify this procedure ? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Problems with Scrolling Internal Cuts

Used to own one of those saws xxx your not doing anything wrong, that's just the way it is with that saw xxx more expensive saws may or may not have a moveable arm, but they all have simpler/better ways to handling internal cuts. The simplest that I have seen is on the RBI. The RBI also has a very simple method of tensionion blades. But, it's also pretty expensive.

Comment

I have a RBI220 which is their 20' thrated one. I was able to get it at a reduced price as it was a demo and they have sales when they are finished with their seasonal demostrations.
      Very simple on tenson and the correct teson every time. I use both Timber wofe and Flying dutchman blades. Which do I like? Both. If I can't get one, i would go get the other. Oslsen is anothe rgood blade in my opinion but like the temberwolf and Flying dutchman.

Comment

The RBI 220 is the same saw I have xx unfortunately I didn't get it on sale, had to pay full price xxx would do it again in a minute though - I love that saw.

Comment

Try purchasing a light that fits under the saw table. It will light up the hole and made threading the blade a little easier. If all else fails, get a HEGNER!

Comment

:Well what I think you are saying is you may have a tension problem check with the book for the saw, if the tone is correct, try not pushing so hard on the side let the saw do the work..the side and back of the blade are smooth, keep the blade in the middle and turn the wood in place..practice is the best answer..keep scrolling!

Comment

I got a 18' Ryobi a few months ago for my birthday and ran into the same problem. You just have to be really patient! I found that if you insert the blade through the wood first, then clamp it to the bottom, and then clamp it to the top it's less painful of a process. It took lots of trial and error but eventually my blades stopped bending. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Bob,

The best saws for not bending blades are the DeWalt and the P-20 from Delta. You can feed from the top. The Hegner has a slpit in the table and the bottom clamps moves so the blade does not have to be bend.
                The best way for you is to try to bend the blade somewhat in the middle with your thumb and middle finger. It takes some practice but you should not get bad bend blades. Also, try maybe a little bigger hole. A 1/16' bit should be good but till you get used to the saw, maybe a 1/8' bit will help.

Mike M

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X