Large image file of how jigsaw puzzles were made in the 30s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large image file of how jigsaw puzzles were made in the 30s

I stumbled upon a 1933 article on how jigsaw puzzles are made by the million.
    I love how they say by the million, and now we say by the millions!
    This comes from the Modern Mechanix Blog

CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

That is an interesting article Carl. Thanks for sharing it.
    Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
    and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Interesting, Carl. That's a rather mass-production method. Actually, the most popular puzzles were produced (cut) on individual scroll saws by the women who worked for Parker Brothers of Salem, Massachusetts, where they were required to cut 1400 pieces per day and given small designs (figurals) to incorporate. The brand was Pastime Puzzles. Perhaps you have some in a family basement somewhere.

This info comes from Anne D. Williams, whose four books on the history of jigsaw puzzles make her the real expert, in addition to being a collector of over 8000 old puzzles. You can find lots of info on these puzzles, interest in which peaked at the turn of the last century and in the 1930's, by going to Bob Armstrong's site at http://www.oldpuzzles.com/. There you can find a history submitted by Anne.

Carter

Comment

Fascinating article. That is a mighty scrollsaw the guy is cutting the board at in figure 2. Perhaps I should upgrade my Meccano Mk II to suit...

As for the thirty ton press, perhaps if I sat on the puzzles it would have much the same effect.

Chris
        "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X