Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stack cutting question

Hello
    I want to make some small easter ornaments with 1/8 bb plywood. I have never stack cut and what is the easiest way to do it. do I just wrap 3 in packing tape and glue the pattern on top and go for it or what?
    Thanks
    Bill

DEWALT 788 and Hegner 18vs..... AND STILL CUTTIN IT UP!!!!

Member of Scrollsaw Association of the World

Many people do it that way. Some adhere it right to the wood and use a heat gun or mineral spirits to get the pattern off (when adhered with spray adhesive). I, personally just trace the pattern directly to the wood with transfer/carbon paper.
    Website is up! Patterns available at: http://WoodenVisions.com

Comment

I hot glue around the edges to hold the stack together, Then I put blue painters tape on the top piece then spray glue tthe pattern and put it on the stack.

Comment

I put blue tape on the top layer, put the pattern on that, assemble the stack. I have a pin nailer (pneumatic nail gun that fires small pins) and put one in each corner.
        small nails will do the same thing.
        I do it on an anvil so that the points don't go through.
        It is the easiest and fastest method for me. I have clamped the stack and hot glued the edges but I do too many stacks for that to be time efficient. If you are doing just three infrequently then I would tightly tape the edges with Blue tape.

Make certain your blade is square to the table!.
        Lots of options.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I put the stack together, wrap it in clear packing tape and glue the pattern onto the packing tape.

Tom
          Hawk G4
          http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/4243

Comment

I use hot glue and glue all over the he way around the edges then bloe tape to attach the pattern, I normally will cut 5 pieces at once .

Comment

There are a lot of good ideas, but for someone just beginning to stack cut, I suggest wrapping the stack in blue tape. Then glue the pattern to the top. That way you don't need to heat your glue gun or charge your air compressor and run the hose, etc.

Blue is better than clear packing tape or even tan masking tape because it comes off easy and you will see if you missed a spot. I used clear until I found a spot of tape during finishing. It was a lot of work getting that spot to match the rest of the stain.

Comment

Mark you are right about the clear tape right on the wood, that has bit me in the butt just once, don't use it any more.
                4 simple nails in the corners is also easy, as you say no air, heat etc.
                Rolf

Comment

I do basically the same thing as Rolf, but add brads in a few of the waste segments. Also sand the top piece with at least 220 grit and give it a couple of shots of spray shellac before applying tape. This stops the wood particles from lifting when removing the blue tape.
                  Jack

Comment

Keep on talking people, although I am old and mostly stuck in my ways, hearing how you all do it might get me to trying some new things.

Worst that can happen is I go back to my same old ways right?

Tom
                    Hawk G4

Comment

I have used most of the methods mentioned but lately I have been using little pieces of double faced tape to hold the members of the stack together. It doesn't take huge pieces of tape. I have some 1/2" wide that works well. In most cases I cut the tape around 1/2" to 5/8" long and place it close to the corners. It's easy to separate the pieces with a thin putty knife. This method works well for stack cutting portraits and also would work well for ornaments.
                      Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

I am a hot glue stacker with blue tape on top. But for only three pieces of 1/8", I would be comfortable with wrapping the stack in blue tape.
                        Jim
                        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I did a somewhat more complicated method when I was doing Christmas ornaments last year:
                          I wrapped blue tape around both sides of each piece, then applied spray adhesive between layers. I also sprayed adhesive to the top piece, and attached the pattern with that. I then put clear tape over the pattern, to keep it clean, and to lubricate the blade. The blue tape comes off cleanly, and the pieces didn't move at all.

Comment

And now you have a nice solid stack!
                            When I first started scrolling I used double sided tape between layers. After I destroyed some very delicate cutting getting it apart, I went to tacks in the corners. I tried many different techniques and found that 1, I want the pieces together as tight as possible. This makes for fewer fuzzies on the inner layers and supports the very delicate areas. 2, Easy separation after I am done cutting. With pins in the waste areas or hot glue on the edges, or tape around the whole thing. All of it falls away on you final perimeter cut. 3, no solvents, heat guns or glue residue to mess with.
                            All we are trying to do is keep the stack aligned!.
                            Rolf

Comment

So does the painters tape lubricate like the packing tape?

Tom
                              Hawk G4

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ralph123
                                Reply to Clock hardware Kits.
                                by Ralph123
                                I didn't get the message. What address did you send it to?
                                Today, 02:05 PM
                              • meflick
                                Reply to Hope everyone had a safe holiday.
                                by meflick
                                Whatever therapy works for you - is a good therapy. Glad your touch/retail therapy was beneficial for you Betty.

Scott, I am so sorry to ear that you and your wife have both had to fight through Covid. I hope this means that you are both on your way to healing, if a bit slowly....
                                Today, 12:14 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Triceratops Puzzle
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                A project finished Monday, July 4th. The pattern is by Judy & Dave Peterson and found in their book, Making Wooden Dinosaur Toys and Puzzles. I used 3/4" Poplar. It is approximately 5 1/2" x 11". Cut on the Pegas Scroll Saw using Pegas #3R MGT blades and Pegas #1 Spiral blades for...
                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 1 photos.
                                Today, 11:10 AM
                              • handibunny
                                by handibunny
                                Hugs to you, Betty, for your zany posts that always bring a smile, and to you, Scott, who are usually on the giving end of things. And to everyone else who makes this forum the special place that gives so much, and refuses to give up. 🤗
                                Today, 10:25 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I need hug therapy. Between my wife then I having Covid we pretty much isolated the last month. No energy still. Have not even walked into the shop in weeks.
                                Today, 09:43 AM
                              Working...
                              X