• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirithorse
    replied
    Hi, Scroller777,
    That chess set looks great!
    As Rolf said, 2x4 probably wasn't the easiest to cut.
    Here is a brief video on youtube about SAND SHADING.
    Mastering the Hot Sand Technique for Shading Veneers - YouTube

As for your question about an easier method, you could cut silhouette type
    chess pieces much easier than compound cuts but, they would not be nearly as
    stunning as your work.
    God Bless! Spirithorse

Leave a comment:

• scroller777
    replied
    Thank you all very much for the encouraging words. It is my first and really fun to make. Rolf, I'll have to look into the hot sand option. My son (12) is teaching me how to play, fu. Y thing is, he always wants to play another game right at bed time. Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Terry Murphy
    replied
    Love it love it love it!

Leave a comment:

• Scrappile
    replied
    Great job. My critic is wish you posted bigger pictures. I'd like a better look! Did you have a pattern or is it your own. I want to try that, but I don't have any talent for designing. I'd need a pattern.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Oaks
    replied
    Sure looks great. Hope to see more.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Great job. 2 x 4 is not the easiest wood for compound cutting. What blade did you use? I am not a big fan of burning wood for effect but on this project it looks good. Have you tried staining.?

If you decide to stay with the burned effect there is a technique used by the marquetry folks using hot sand.

Leave a comment:

• koutsman
    replied
    I like how this turned out too! Very nice cutting! You should definitely do another... and another... and another... The design options for chess pieces are endless, so every set can be truly unique. You could also experiment with different colors of wood and different finish options. I'll look forward to your posting of your next set.

Leave a comment:

• scroller777
    started a topic chess set

chess set

I decided to cut a King and Queen from a 2x4. I kinda liked how it turned out, so I pressed on with the rest of the set. I burned it with a propane torch. I had to add some weight to each piece, so I used 12 gauge shot. Please add your input. Is there an easier way to do this?, Critiques, whatever you got, cause I want to do this again. Thanks
    Attached Files

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
    Reply to Bruce’s new toys
    by will8989
    It took him a year to get rid of all the stuff for her. That actually cost Bruce a $5.00 donation to the club. All the attachments are Tormex. $35 was for everything. He’s quite happy.
    Yesterday, 09:02 PM
  • Ennobee
    Reply to Wisconsin
    by Ennobee
    I know Wausau from the boxes of paper in our office. They got 'Wausau paper' printed all over them. Always thought to hat was in China, though....
    Yesterday, 06:38 PM
  • mtwoodguy
    Reply to Hi All
    by mtwoodguy
    Welcome Ian from Reno Nevada! Glad to have you aboard. Some saws can be frustrating, and others we love. Lots of help available here.
    Yesterday, 03:11 PM
  • Kingpin
    Hi All
    by Kingpin
    Hello Everyone, Just joined and wanted to say hi I am Ian from England, Been working with wood most of My life in one form or another and only recently acquired a cheap little saw that I am yet to use in anger
    Yesterday, 12:53 PM
  • Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to Bruce’s new toys
    by Linda In Phoenix
    $35 was a great price no matter what. Bruce definitely scored big time. And by the same token, the wife found new homes for her hubby's stuff that she had no use for. I'd rather sell cheap to someone who may actually use them than any other purpose.
    Yesterday, 10:54 AM
Working...
X