chess set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chess set

I decided to cut a King and Queen from a 2x4. I kinda liked how it turned out, so I pressed on with the rest of the set. I burned it with a propane torch. I had to add some weight to each piece, so I used 12 gauge shot. Please add your input. Is there an easier way to do this?, Critiques, whatever you got, cause I want to do this again. Thanks
    Attached Files

I like how this turned out too! Very nice cutting! You should definitely do another... and another... and another... The design options for chess pieces are endless, so every set can be truly unique. You could also experiment with different colors of wood and different finish options. I'll look forward to your posting of your next set.
    -- Jim N.

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything that is beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Great job. 2 x 4 is not the easiest wood for compound cutting. What blade did you use? I am not a big fan of burning wood for effect but on this project it looks good. Have you tried staining.?

If you decide to stay with the burned effect there is a technique used by the marquetry folks using hot sand.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Sure looks great. Hope to see more.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Great job. My critic is wish you posted bigger pictures. I'd like a better look! Did you have a pattern or is it your own. I want to try that, but I don't have any talent for designing. I'd need a pattern.
          AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Love it love it love it!

It's all fun
            Terry
            Craftsman 18"
            Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

Thank you all very much for the encouraging words. It is my first and really fun to make. Rolf, I'll have to look into the hot sand option. My son (12) is teaching me how to play, fu. Y thing is, he always wants to play another game right at bed time. Thanks again

Comment

Hi, Scroller777,
                That chess set looks great!
                As Rolf said, 2x4 probably wasn't the easiest to cut.
                Here is a brief video on youtube about SAND SHADING.
                Mastering the Hot Sand Technique for Shading Veneers - YouTube

As for your question about an easier method, you could cut silhouette type
                chess pieces much easier than compound cuts but, they would not be nearly as
                stunning as your work.
                God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ralph123
                  Reply to Clock hardware Kits.
                  by Ralph123
                  I didn't get the message. What address did you send it to?
                  Today, 02:05 PM
                • meflick
                  Reply to Hope everyone had a safe holiday.
                  by meflick
                  Whatever therapy works for you - is a good therapy. Glad your touch/retail therapy was beneficial for you Betty.

Scott, I am so sorry to ear that you and your wife have both had to fight through Covid. I hope this means that you are both on your way to healing, if a bit slowly....
                  Today, 12:14 PM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  Triceratops Puzzle
                  by Sandy Oaks
                  A project finished Monday, July 4th. The pattern is by Judy & Dave Peterson and found in their book, Making Wooden Dinosaur Toys and Puzzles. I used 3/4" Poplar. It is approximately 5 1/2" x 11". Cut on the Pegas Scroll Saw using Pegas #3R MGT blades and Pegas #1 Spiral blades for...
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Today, 11:10 AM
                • handibunny
                  by handibunny
                  Hugs to you, Betty, for your zany posts that always bring a smile, and to you, Scott, who are usually on the giving end of things. And to everyone else who makes this forum the special place that gives so much, and refuses to give up. 🤗
                  Today, 10:25 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  by NC Scroller
                  I need hug therapy. Between my wife then I having Covid we pretty much isolated the last month. No energy still. Have not even walked into the shop in weeks.
                  Today, 09:43 AM
                Working...
                X