Ryobi 16" Scroll Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi 16" Scroll Saw

I'm thinking of buying a Ryobi 16" scroll saw. Does anyone have any comments, both pro and con, regarding this saw?
    Thank,
    Bob

ive had 2 of them, pros, the cut great, cons, parts wear out break quickly, some are easy to get, others are discontinued and cant be found, like the lower arm, a very important part of the saw, if you buy one, buy a lot of replacement blade clamps and tensioners, they wear out and break fast

Comment

I had one, it is a good starting saw. After I became more confident and tried more difficult items to cut, I upgraded to Excalibur.

Comment

I started out with one also. It quickly became inconvenient to use an allen wrench for the pin less blades. Plus, keeping tension on the blade became a problem. When the various parts started to fail it was hard to find parts for them. I finally moved up to a Delta and for the most part am satisfied with it.

Dan

Comment

If you are just starting out, try to find a mid range saw off of Craig's list or somewhere in the paper. I had a 2 speed Delta 16" saw that I got used as my 1st. You'll notice that everyone who really gets into it ends up with the DeWalt or fancy Delta or they move on up to Hawk, Excalibur, Hegner or other high end saw.

Stay away from the Harbor Freight or other very cheap saws, you'll end up not enjoying what you are doing because the saw is so bad.

Tom
          Hawk G4
          http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/4243

Comment

My first saw was a 16" Delta variable speed. I put it on a small table and put a sack of concrete on the lower shelf. Worked pretty well and it got me hooked. I upgraded to a DeWalt after about a year. Several moves, kids, busy, scroll saw in the corner buried. Last year I visited a state park that had an arts and crafts center and I stopped to look at a particular booth run by a gentleman who was selling some beautiful work. I was envious of his skill and as we exchanged pleasantries he moved behind his saw and began to cut another piece. He was using a 16" Delta variable speed saw. He said it was the only one he ever had and he bought it used 17 years ago. Replaced a few parts now and then and has kept on going. I'm not so sure its just the saw that makes the most difference.

Comment

I did a lot of detailed work on my old delta ss350 but it is a heck of a lot easier and faster with my Hawk
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I STILL HAVE AND USE MINE ALMOST DAILY....the repllacement parts that wear out the fa
                stest in normal use.....(are all still available.....clamps etc.) have never had any major parts go bad, still on the original motor brushes..a bit less than half worn, yes, I DO have extras and will install when/ before needed.
                The important thing is maintainance and cleaning of all the dust buildup BEFORE THE PROBLEM can get started....i lube mine about every other week as per instructions. the price was right and although there are a lot of other brands out there i feel as though i got MORE than i paid for and the saw cuts what i need and has served me well........would probably buy another if this one goes bellie up.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Reply to Hope everyone had a safe holiday.
                  by will8989
                  Sorry to hear that Scott. Bruce had it but I never did. And I try to isolate from Bruce whenever I can. ūü§™ We were even around our son and grandson right before they were diagnosed and nothing for us. I guess I overdid the shopping Carole. I tried to sign onto our bank tonight and it is ‚Äútemporarily...
                  Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                • Jim McDonald
                  by Jim McDonald
                  My saw is in a severe state of depression due to alleged abandonment. We have been clearing Becky's office since her retirement. She one of the last two original occupants of that new building in 2001, so it has been a lot of trips to the recycling bin with student thesis files, convention papers and...
                  Yesterday, 07:07 PM
                • Redlee
                  Hello all, new here.
                  by Redlee
                  New here and looking for some help and guidance on scroll work and saws.
                  I have a Hegner M25S and have recently made some upgrades and would like to improve the blade clamping. So looking for ideas and help.
                  Thanks
                  Yesterday, 05:54 PM
                • Ralph123
                  Reply to Clock hardware Kits.
                  by Ralph123
                  I didn't get the message. What address did you send it to?
                  Yesterday, 02:05 PM
                • meflick
                  by meflick
                  Whatever therapy works for you - is a good therapy. Glad your touch/retail therapy was beneficial for you Betty.

Scott, I am so sorry to ear that you and your wife have both had to fight through Covid. I hope this means that you are both on your way to healing, if a bit slowly....
                  Yesterday, 12:14 PM
                Working...
                X