Outdoor Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Paint

This message board has been a great place for information for me. And I would like your input on the best type of paint to use for crafts that will be used out side in the weather. I have tried some of the spray paints but they fade. What has worked best for you old pros?
    Sid ???

Re: Outdoor Paint

I use the good ol cheap acrylics in a bottle that you can buy at Walmart. But I put two coats of a magical topcoat over the acrylics after it dries...Black Rhino cement sealer. I have several ornaments and decorations that I leave out year round. After 3 years, everything still looks new, with the exception of a little tree sap spotting, but this cleans off fairly easy.

It dries crystal clear, doesn't yellow, chip, fade, peel, crack, etc like regular varnish or poly will. It right now has outlasted my oak 'log cabin mailbox' that had 6 coats of Spar varnish applied!

I bought the Black Rhino at the local Lowes hardware store to coat the inside of my cement birdbath. I'm sure there are other brands out there that are just as good!
    My Site Missouri Ozarks

Comment

I think probably the best outside paint is 'one shot' you can get it at any good paint store or auto paint store....sign painters use it...it is excellent paint...is also used by pinstrippers etc. actually I think it is '1 shot' on the label. It is an oil base enamel...but that is what you will  have to use I think if you want the best paint and longevity! I should ad too that the sign painters use 1 shot on MDO board, medium density overlay....it is a plywood with the 'blows' filled and an oil treated paper, either on one or both sides, the combination lasts for a very long time outside in the weather.

Comment

The epoxy based paints are excellent .... downside: limited colors, expense and not usually as easy to use as 'normal' paints.

Comment

Thank for the information on paints. I know I can count on you guys. Thanks again, Sid

Comment

I used to build a lot of exteriour type tables, benches, artsy things you put in flowerbeds, gardens etc., and also ourdoor plywood ornaments, through the years the most durable paint I've used is exteriour Benjamin Moore latex paint. : you have the ease of clean up like with an acrylic paint, and the durability of an exteriour paint! I have a neighbor across the street, 2-of my creations are in her front yard, and still look like the day they were set out there 3-years ago. A friend has another sitting out in a yard that has a sprinkling system, and the water has wicked up through the bottom of the leg, and ruining the wood, however the paint looks fine.... it's sort of a crazy thing once I figured out what really happened.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
              Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
              by Quartz43
              I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
              Today, 09:09 AM
            • will8989
              Reply to countdown for Bruce.
              by will8989
              Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
              Yesterday, 10:12 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
              by will8989
              I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
              Yesterday, 10:02 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Back in the saddle again
              by will8989
              I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
              Yesterday, 09:59 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Starting again
              by will8989
              And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
              Yesterday, 09:55 PM
            Working...
            X