Identify an older Hawk for a newbie??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify an older Hawk for a newbie??

Hi everyone. I just bought a Hawk 220 on e bay. It has a single on-off switch on the right side. Underneath, on the gearbox ( ??) it seems to have a step pulley. The belt is on the smaller pulley. Should there be a second, larger belt for when I want to switch to the other one? I would ask about blade changing and tension adjustment, but all that should be in the owners manual. Oh wait a minute... I don't have one of those ! Can any one say, from experience, which exact model this is ? The factory couldn't track the serial number, but guessed the saw is mid to late eighties . The Hawk site has several PDF manuals , but I'm not sure which one would apply. Thanks in advance for the help..... Larry
    Larry

Dewalt 788 Owner "I love wood , with or without Mandolin strings"

hi, your saw is a mid 80. you do need a 2nd belt for the low sp. I never use it-too much trouble to chg the pulley. the manual you need is identified on the hawk site as "older model 2 sp". bought my saw new, have updated the upper arm to front release. all else orig will prob last forever.
    doug

Comment

Old Hawk

I may be a little confused here, but my original Hawk, many years ago, had a step pulley. All you had to do was to force the belt on the larger pulley over to the small pulley on the same shaft. Then go to the other pulley on the 2nd shaft and force the belt from the smaller pulley over to the larger pulley. If you add the diameters of the large to small pulleys and the diameters of the small to large pulleys, they should come out the same. My lathe has the same set up only it is a four step pulley setup.
      Buzz
      We Danes are very even tempered. We're always mad about something!

Comment

my hawk 220 has a single pulley on the motor shaft and a 2 step pulley on the gearbox. to chg to the low sp I have to reverse the gearbox 2 step pulley and install a larger dia belt.
        doug

Comment

Thanks Buzz and Romescroller , I think I figured most of it out now. The factory has nailed it down to 1985-1988 . You were right about the PDF manual, and that's the one I have downloaded. I was hoping I could just change the belt from one pulley to the other, but it has a single pulley on the motor, and a step on the gear box. Instructions say to remove belt , flip dual pulley over, install longer belt, adjust belt tension by sliding the motor, and then tighten everything back down. Sounds like a PITA , but I ordered the belts anyway, just in case I want to do it. Please explain more about updateing the upper arm..not sure I follow. I did order modern blade holders for the saw. The originals require a few tools to change the blade, the new ones are the "tool-less " varity. Thanks for all the help on this, I'm really looking forward to many good years out of this machine. Larry
          Larry

Comment

I chgd the upper arm to the one used on the new saws, it has a tension release lever at the front, did this several yrs ago, saves time on inside cuts and saves my old body.
            doug

Comment

Wow Doug , I bet that was a pricey upper arm. Not sure if I'm ready for that exspense. As soon I can convince the wife that I am a dedicated scroller, I hope to be able to buy a more modern (variable speed) machine. ..Larry
              Larry

Comment

yes it was a little pricey, long enough ago that I have forgotten how much. after about 20 yrs we have made a lot of sawdust together. still a smooth saw and cuts everything great on high sp. rbi has been helpful over the yrs but now some pts are not available. have fun with it.
                doug

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X