Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pattern comes up, what am I doing wrong!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon
    replied
    Yes it does say on the green tape 7 days and on the purple it said 30 days. Right now I am not at the 30 day stage of cutting. I am doing projects right now that can be cut easily and so they don't require too many days of cutting. I see things that I would eventually like to cut and these would need purple tape for sure. I will keep that in mind for the future. I got the saw as a Christmas gift last year. It took me the whole year to get over the fear of it and learning how to change blades. This coming year is experience in different styles fo cutting. Next year...purple tape
    Diane

Leave a comment:

• William Young (SE BC)
    replied
    Hi Diane.
    The order of the amount of tackiness in the tapes from most to least is white, green ,blue and then purple. Also the length of time it can be left on before removing it without a lot of trouble is also in proportion to those colors.
    If you are using green or white for instance and you have it on the wood and don't get around to cutting it out soon you will have one hell of time getting it off the wood with scraping and sanding and removing reidue as well as breaking delicate fretwork trying to remove it. On the other hand, the purple tape can be left on for a month and will still peel off of the most delicate fretwork easily and leave zero residue . Therefore the time and aggravation savings for me is well worth the differnce in price.
    Sometimes when I make some large clocks for backup stock I will use a system to save myself a lot of time where I will cut all the pieces on the table saw to size, apply all the patterns to those pieces, then drill all those pieces before I ever cut a single piece on the scroll saw.. Then when I start cutting them out I sometimes get an order for another dozen pens or something else on my wood lathe or I get a gift of some beautifull green wood that needs to be turned on the lathe right away before it starts checking so the clock parts sit for a while until I get back to them.
    It doesn't matter if it is a month later I know the tape is going to peel off easily with zero residue and zero breakage of fretwork.
    Therefore the purple tape is very good value for me.

If you are using green tape and are going to be cutting non delicate pieces right away and then removing it right away after cutting you will be OK . I never use any less than two inch tape because there again it takes less time to apply and it uses less of it because there are half as many overlaps on the edges. . You can get away with no overlaps if appying it carefully but then you will find it comes off in strips the same as you applied it. . If you use a slight overlap it will all come off in one piece from one side to the other.

Hope this information is of some use. We all have our own way of doing things and reasons for doing it. I am simply pointing out a few of the reasons why I do some things the way experience has taught me to do it.

W.Y.

Leave a comment:

• Dragon
    replied
    Bill and Ian
    Have gone to Walmart yesterday and they had of every color, purple included. I bought a roll of 1" green. Reason:
    green: $2.82
    blue: $4.84
    purple: $5.94

I checked closely and they were all the same length of tape on the roll. I will start the year with a roll of 1" green. Maybe if I sell a lot this year then I will go back and buy more and different. The year is to gather experience and I think the green will do me fine.
    Diane

Leave a comment:

• Steviegwood
    replied
    I use the Duro myself and have not had to much trouble with it. I think that one thing that has not been brought up but it is so obvious. We just need to cut faster. Ah, that is just me. haha Steve

Leave a comment:

• Marsha
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cutting Cathy
    replied
    Todd, That thought had crossed my mind a few times!! Then I would think that was stupid. I'm so glad someone said something!! I'm not sure what kind of paper this is, something my husband brought home. I think I will go buy some different paper tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. I'll report back my findings!!

Cathy in NE

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    3M, M77 hasn't failed me yet either, spray it heavy give it a short wait apply the pattern and clean the mess up later with mineral spirits.

I question if the problem could be from the type of paper the pattern is printed on?

Leave a comment:

• Green Frog
    replied
    spray glue

I had problem with Duro so switched to Elmers no more problem.I do not use tape glue wood and back of pattern brad nail sandwich the boards and go for it .

Leave a comment:

• earlinjax
    replied
    This is only a test run of one, but today was the first time I tried putting clear Contact paper on the wood and gluing the pattern to it. Not only no lift off, but peeling off the paper was a snap. I think I'm a convert.

It did seem that I had to let the pattern dry longer before cutting though.

EarlinJax

Leave a comment:

• Dragon
    replied
    Checked on my spray it is "Excel" brand repositionable stencil adhesive spray.
    I have never seen any others so I started with this and always like it.
    Diane

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    When I worked in a newspaper, back in the stone age, we used to glue out images and text down with hot wax.
    There was a machine that heated the wax and rollers applied it to the paper.
    This was repositionable. This is also the same principle as PostIt notes from
    3M.

Before that we used rubber cement. Rubber cement is easy enough to remove by rolling it into a ball. It is very flammable and makes a good fire starter Bored at the office one day!

Some people swear by label sheets, Printing the pattern directly to them.
    I prefer the Krylon spray. I have used Elmers and had success if it is kept warm. 3M super77 works well but it can be hard to remove the pattern. I do not care for solvents around the house so residual glues are a pain for me.

I still want to try some techniques to apply the pattern directly to the wood rather than a piece of paper. I have had good sucess with using an iron and a photocopy. I will try T shirt transfers when I get back from holidays.
    I also bought a small laminator which I am modifying to transfer photocopies.

If the pattern is not too complicated we could always use carbon or graphite transfer paper.

Leave a comment:

• Dragon
    replied
    That's what I have Stencil Adhesive and I love it. Never had it lift at all. I think it is the Krylon brand because that's the brand that store sells.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Wilson
    replied
    Methods for attaching patterns are a lot like blade selection. There are several choices, some work great for some people and don't work at all for others. I've tried Duro and didn't care for it, go figure. My preferred brand of spray adhesive is Krylon Repositionable Spray Adhesive. I've had the best luck applying a fairly heavy coat, enough that I can see the pattern lines though the back of the paper. Using a light mist of mineral spirits afterward lifts the pattern right off and helps clean up the residue.

Leave a comment:

• Dusty Buffalo
    replied
    Originally posted by PuzzledMoose
    I haven't seen purple around here either Diane - maybe it's a West Coast thing ... appeals to all those dope-smoking hippies over there ...
    Hey, Ian

I'm definitely no dope smoking hippie and I would LOVE purple tape. Purple is my favorite color and I try to buy everything I can in purple. And I'm on the East Coast and I have seen the purple tape but haven't bought any yet. I have a free supply at home that the hubby keeps for his auto painting. He doesn't use it, so I do. Just don't tell him.

I started using the contact paper and glueing the pattern to that then putting clear packing tape over that. I'm still having trouble with the pattern lifting. I've tried the spray glue which I have had no luck with whatsoever, not sure the brand I have. I've tried a glue stick and I bought some of that liquid glue you in a bottle that you brush on, like the kids use in school. That didn't work either. I made sure I had enough on and waited a few minutes before putting the pattern down. It's getting quite frustrating. But I'll keep trying different glues/adhesives until I find one that works.

Leave a comment:

• lucky788scroller
    replied
    I just use clear packing tape, with 3M super 77 sprayglue ,pattern over tape, and no problems . Dale

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X