Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pattern comes up, what am I doing wrong!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The blue tape I've had is a bit thicker and seems to have a kind of shinier "plasticky" finish - and came in 2" wide rolls - it seems hard to get 2" green round here.

I seem to remember that the blue can be left on for a longer period of time - something like 14 days - if you are actually using it for painting!

I think the last lot of green I got here was at Walmart - just over $6 for a 3 pack ..

I don't remember seeing either colour when I lived in the UK. I didn't scroll then - just used the brown papery type of masking tape when I was painting ...
    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

I very rarely have any pattern lifting. I use photo mount adhesive. It is expensive but I wait for the 40% coupons before I buy it.
      If teh adhesive is still wet it will be absorbed by the wood and the pattern will peel. I NEVER put the pattern directly on the wood ( I lied I do do that on 3d stuff) I now use clear contact brand contact paper under my patterns (cheap) and on small projects I still use the blue tape.
      I think the difference between blue and green is the stickyness. (is that a word)
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Ok, it's a new day, hopefully a better one!! I ended up breaking the piece I was working on due to the pattern lifting!! Exactly where I showed the pictures is where it broke. I got some glue under there, started cutting and the pattern lifted again so (dumb me) pushes it back down and SNAP, there it went. I was so discouraged. I did get out the trusty CA glue and glued it, but haven't had the heart to check it out this morning. Will keep you posted.

But I'm certainly glad that I started this thread!! I realize now that I am not the only one with this problem and you have all given me some great recommendations!! I'm going to check out the painters tape and look for some of the 3M spray. It sounds like people have pretty good luck with that. Thanks so much everyone!!

Cathy in NE
        Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

I use the purple (mauve ) tape. It has the lowest tack for not damaging delicate fretwork when removing it and it removes better than any of the other colors with zero residue even if left on the wood for extended periods of time..
          As far as spray glue goes here is something that I don't believe was mentioned unless I missed it scanning over the responses.
          I have tried every brand of spray glue available and over the past ten years the Duro spray has been the best for me and costs about half of 3-M and some others..
          But with any of them there are two things that will give you a problem. Number one is that if it is too cold they won't stick properely so room temperature is advised. We always seem to get a lot of complaints about the spray glue not sticking in the winter time.
          Second, it pays to read the fine print on the can. Shake well before using means shake well before using. One person on my own site was having all kinds of trouble with the spray coming out in blobs and not sticking a well as it did in the summer time. . I told her to shake the can real well before using it at room temperature and she replied later and was delighted with those suggestions because it worked fine when it was being used properly.
          W.Y.
          http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Bill, Great advice!!! Although I do shake the heck out of it, I DON'T have it at room temp!!! I have my "shop" in a spare room in the house, but I have shut the vent off to that room. I open it and turn on a space heater when I'm planning on working in there. Now I plan on getting that Duro OUT of there and putting it in a warmer room!! I will let you all know how it goes!!! Thanks again!!

Cathy
            Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

It seems a shame that the glue used on masking tape is not available as a spray. Has anyone tried rubber glue?

Comment

Albert,
                i have used rubber glue with sucses, to remove the paper pattern i just sand it of with fine grade paper on my belt sander,easy,
                ---------- Frank----------

Comment

I've only seen blue and green tape. Will look for purple next week.
                  Dragon
                  Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                  Owner of a Dewalt 788
                  PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Originally posted by uk scroller
                    Albert,
                    i have used rubber glue with sucses, to remove the paper pattern i just sand it of with fine grade paper on my belt sander,easy,
                    ---------- Frank----------
                    Sanding delicate fretwork on a belt sander sounds as if it could be a recipe for disaster though ..?
                    Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon
                      I've only seen blue and green tape. Will look for purple next week.
                      I haven't seen purple around here either Diane - maybe it's a West Coast thing ... appeals to all those dope-smoking hippies over there ...
                      Ian

Comment

Sometimes only Walmart has it and sometimes only Home Depot has it. Gotta keep looking for it . I get the 2" wide rolls and grab a couple rolls every time I see it displayed. It is expensive but the taple is thinner than the other colors so there is a lot more yards of it on a roll and that offsets the price because a roll lasts a long time.
                        W.Y.
                        http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

I just use clear packing tape, with 3M super 77 sprayglue ,pattern over tape, and no problems . Dale
                          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by PuzzledMoose
                            I haven't seen purple around here either Diane - maybe it's a West Coast thing ... appeals to all those dope-smoking hippies over there ...
                            Hey, Ian

I'm definitely no dope smoking hippie and I would LOVE purple tape. Purple is my favorite color and I try to buy everything I can in purple. And I'm on the East Coast and I have seen the purple tape but haven't bought any yet. I have a free supply at home that the hubby keeps for his auto painting. He doesn't use it, so I do. Just don't tell him.

I started using the contact paper and glueing the pattern to that then putting clear packing tape over that. I'm still having trouble with the pattern lifting. I've tried the spray glue which I have had no luck with whatsoever, not sure the brand I have. I've tried a glue stick and I bought some of that liquid glue you in a bottle that you brush on, like the kids use in school. That didn't work either. I made sure I had enough on and waited a few minutes before putting the pattern down. It's getting quite frustrating. But I'll keep trying different glues/adhesives until I find one that works.
                            Kelly
                            "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Methods for attaching patterns are a lot like blade selection. There are several choices, some work great for some people and don't work at all for others. I've tried Duro and didn't care for it, go figure. My preferred brand of spray adhesive is Krylon Repositionable Spray Adhesive. I've had the best luck applying a fairly heavy coat, enough that I can see the pattern lines though the back of the paper. Using a light mist of mineral spirits afterward lifts the pattern right off and helps clean up the residue.
                              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

That's what I have Stencil Adhesive and I love it. Never had it lift at all. I think it is the Krylon brand because that's the brand that store sells.
                                Dragon
                                Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                                Owner of a Dewalt 788
                                PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X