Looking for Kachina patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Kachina patterns

Hi Folks! Just joined your group. I'm new at scrolling but am enjoying it.

Does anyone know where I can find patterns for Kachinas?

I have asked several of the pattern stores but no luck.

I got a Kachina coloring book with the hopes of possably adapting to scroll but thay look too difficult.

Re: Looking for Kachina patterns

You have posted this question on a number of forums but you have not explained what a Katchina is. It is not a term you hear everyday. I can suggest you might have better luck on a site that deals with portraits.http://groups.msn.com/scrollsawportraits/general.msnw They probably can help.
    John T.

Comment

A Katchina is a wooden doll make by the indians(mostly) and dressed in their cerimonial costumes.

Comment

I saw this on Amazon, hope it helps

Comment

Yes, John T he asked before and we told him to go to Google to find what he is lookin g for: http://www.artindien.com/danseur1.html
          However it is not for a scroller but more for a carver and maybe he could ask on the carver forum if someone could help to make a pattern for a scroll saw. However it doesn't look like it can be done.
          Mikie M
          SD Mike

Comment

Why couldn't it be done? I use flat pictures from Goggle for carving patterns all the time! All he needs to do is find one he likes, print it out, transfer to wood, and cut it out. He may have to get creative with the arms and dowel them on, but it's no big deal.

One thing nice about computers, you can re-size the picture as big or small as you want it for the size project you want to do.

Comment

Thanks folks for your input. I do appreciate it.
              I received a pattern for the Sun Kachina by e-mail.

Here is a helpfull note from my notebook----

Check out 99 cent and $1 stores for various scroller needs.
              i.e. I found good picture frames I can use for only $1.

Also found several clocks for 99 cents that I can use the clock in projects.

Comment

Yes the $1 store can be a find just a word of caution on the clock. You get what you pay for. So if you are going to put it into a project that gets sold or given away it may stop in a short time and your project would look cheap. Just a thought.
                John T.

Comment

Couldnt read language in the site. Looks like maybe Kacchinas are replicas of  Native Indians dancing in costume. Looks easy for carving but cant imagine anyone  making one on scrollsaw.  Maybe scrollsawing is a more advanced method of woodworking than carving. As a beginner, I dont know. It is just what somebody told me. Anyone have pictures of one they made with using scrollsaw ?
                  Maybe more suitable for that art form that they call intarsia (or something like that), with all the different color woods.
                  I dont like painted things.
                  Sparky

Comment

I have to correct some of my earlier post.  Sparkplug is right.  Scroll sawing is more advanced as carving. It is not like Randy is saying.  You can do it as compoud or 3-D cutting. That would not make it a flat doll but a real complete doll.  All you have to do is paint it. The clock picture I have is compound cutting from a pattern of Diana Thompson. Sorry it is somewhat distorded.  You have to find some one who could make a pattern for you as a compound pattern.  
                    Mike This is compound cutting.
                    SD Mike

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
                      by will8989
                      Our feed belt keeps moving but Bruce did adjust it the other day when I was done and this is the first time I’ve used it. It kept getting louder so I bet that’s it or it just isn’t tight. Will check it in the morning. Thanks.
                      Yesterday, 11:26 PM
                    • Rolf
                      by Rolf
                      Betty is the feed belt centered? Do you hear it when the drum is spinning or when just the feed belt is on?
                      I have had the sanding belt stretch, they do that over time, and there was enough hanging out to just kiss the table.
                      Yesterday, 03:30 PM
                    • Bill Wilson
                      Reply to Winter issue
                      by Bill Wilson
                      I got mine the other day. Also noticed a dearth of Christmas themed projects. I don't recall seeing much Christmas stuff in the Fall issue either. I look forward to new ornament ideas, but those were lacking this year.

I do understand some of the constraints in publishing a magazine these...
                      Yesterday, 02:49 PM
                    • Bill Wilson
                      by Bill Wilson
                      Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
                      Yesterday, 02:13 PM
                    • will8989
                      by will8989
                      Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
                      Yesterday, 01:57 PM
                    Working...
                    X