Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portraits using psp9

Hi,
    I have had psp9 for a couple of years now. I am wanting to create my own scroll saw portraits from old photos (my deceased mom, dad and father in law) for myself and to give as gifts to my family. I have the "Scroll Saw Portraits" book by Gary Browning and have cut several of the pattern portraits in the book. But when it comes to rendering a scroll saw portrait with the instructions I am having trouble doing so. He doesn't use the psp program. Does any one have any idea on another book/program that will help me with this using psp9?
    Thank you and I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Have a Happy and Safe New Year!
    -Sonja

Portraits

Originally posted by SonjaRaquel
    Hi,
    I have had psp9 for a couple of years now. I am wanting to create my own scroll saw portraits from old photos (my deceased mom, dad and father in law) for myself and to give as gifts to my family. I have the "Scroll Saw Portraits" book by Gary Browning and have cut several of the pattern portraits in the book. But when it comes to rendering a scroll saw portrait with the instructions I am having trouble doing so. He doesn't use the psp program. Does any one have any idea on another book/program that will help me with this using psp9?
    Thank you and I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Have a Happy and Safe New Year!
    -Sonja
    Hi Sonja, Check your PM's. Steve
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

Comment

If you join this MSN group they have a tutorial based specifically on PSP program.
      http://groups.msn.com/PatternAcademybasic
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have a question very similar to Sonja's and I'm at about the same place she is. I personally got more out of Browning's web pages than his book (no insult to the book, though).

I, however, do NOT have PSP. I have Corel and have used Corel-Draw for designing a few simple patterns. Corel Photo-Paint is a part of that whole suite, so I have it too. Are there any tutorials for making patterns from photos using Corel? I have a feeling that the learning curve may be fairly steep for any of the software that can do this. Not that that scares me; I'm just looking for a "jump-start".

I know Jeff Zaffino uses Photoshop, but some of this stuff can get pretty pricey and I'd rather put my money into tools and blades and wood rather than trying this and that. Especially when I already have Corel Photo-Paint which does have layering and I think all the other whistles and bells.

I've downloaded some trial software such as Coyote Stencil and Connected Pattern Maker, which may be good for some things, but again, I don't want to pour a lot of time into those if something else may be better.

Hope you understand my plight. I almost don't know enough about graphics to know what questions to ask.

Again - can I use Corel Photo-Paint and if so, how? And if not, how can I accomplish photos-to-patterns cheaply (inexpensively)?

I'm rambling. Sorry 'bout that.
        Kevin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

NEW DeWalt 788 and that old, Jimmy- Jerry- and Kevin-rigged Delta 40-560

Comment

Hi Kevin and Sonja, a photo editor that has the feature called coloring book is also a good place to start. I use Kodak photo editing software myself also paint programs and of course good ole pencil and paper. Paint program is on most computers and kodak has a free download. Now that you have a place to start and the prices are right lets see some portraits. Steve
          If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
          My Gallery
          [email protected]

Comment

Kevin:

Our friend Gill has posted many times a link from the UK on learning to use PSP. I walked thru that tutorial with CorelDraw Suite's Photo Paint X3. All the menu commands from PSP are there, just different places on the drop down menus, and in one case, labeled something different but close enough to find.

Get the MSN tutorial, or Gill's link, and just walk thru it as best you can with Corel's Photo Paint. Just take it easy and don't get frustrated, it is a learning curve made more complex because the instructions have to be translated to your software.

By the way, as you may know, PSP is now owned by Corel. Corel PSP is now out with version 11, or XI as they call it. From what I have been reading, stick with your version 9.

Phil

Comment

I down loaded the trial 30 day version of Corel XI all I can say is complicated with a huge learning curve
              Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

I am glad to know that I am not the only one trying to find out which programs to use. I use Adobe Photoshop 7 and find that it has much the same commands as other graphics programs. I find it is usually best to use the program your are most familiar with. For those who have not used any of the programs, check out those you can most afford and learn it. I agree with Kevin in that I would rather put my money into tools and lumber and I would rather be making sawdust than trying to learn another program. Be that as it may, if we want to make our own patterns we will have to take the time to learn these other programs in order to make our own patterns.
                Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
                and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Thanks, all ! I'll look for Gill's link and check out MSN. And then, sometime in the future, I'll honor Steve's request.

This topic seems as complicated and confusing as "what saw do I buy?" because of all the choices. Corel now owning PSP didn't help any, either in my initial searches. I'll just keep plugging away -- it'll be worth it.

Thanks again!
                  Of course, any other thoughts, tips, suggestions, are still welcome.
                  Kevin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

When I saw that Free Scrollsaw Patterns was offering the free tutorial utilizing PSP, I went right to Ebay and found a new version of PSP 10. It did not come with a manual but I paid only around $35 or $40 for it, including shipping. The manual isn't necessary anyway, especially if you take the pattern tutorial. I have Corel Draw Suite and Adobe Photoshop Elements but without some direction, they were too frustrating.

Buying PSP and enrolling in Pattern Academy was one of the smarter things I have done and would recommend it.
                    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

It's a long time since this perennial favorite surfaced, so here's the tutorial link again:

http://www.freewebtown.com/80ArtDesigns/page1.html

Like Mike says, if graphics software seems a little pricey, have a look at an online auction website where you can get good graphics software cheap. You don't need the latest versions; I do quite nicely with PSPv9. Alternatively, Serif has some good software here absolutely free.

One of the biggest problems newcomers experience when they start using software to produce patterns is that they expect the process to be fairly straight forward and the computer will do the hard work. It won't. Even software that's aimed directly at scrollers (I'm thinking Coyote) will require adjustments to make a decent pattern.

I'm currently blessing Santa for having bought me an Aiptek tablet - it's much more useful than any of the software I've accumulated.

Gill
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I've just been having a look at Andy Deane's tutorial that Gill posted.

It's worth a look even if you're not using PSP. It's a well written guide.

I have Photoshop CS - I used PSP years ago but not recenty. Reading through the tutorial I found it easier to "translate" the steps to Photoshop.

The step I've always found most frustrating is the "cleaning up" of the image once there is a decent black and white portrait. This is the step where a graphics tablet is probably a good idea for anyone wanting to seriously produce there own patterns.

I assume you're happy with your Christmas pressie, Gill?
                        Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by PuzzledMoose
                          I assume you're happy with your Christmas pressie, Gill?

Delighted!
                          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Originally posted by Gill

Delighted!
                            ROTFL here at the thought of Gill bouncing up and down like that little bunny ...
                            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by PuzzledMoose
                              ROTFL here at the thought of Gill bouncing up and down like that little bunny ...
                              If you REALLY want to ROTF, picture me as that little bunny. The reasons (in Dave Letterman order):

5. More replies
                              4. The MSN site
                              3. A perennial favorite resurfacing
                              2. A comment that includes the phrase, "one of the smarter things I have done and would recommend it."
                              1. Getting Gill to surface.

Okay, okay, there is no order. I am, however, really glad I joined this forum! You've all been a big help, not to mention the occasional <G> I get. Some day I hope to return these favors.

(Can you and I hold hands as we bounce, Gill?)
                              Kevin

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Today, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Today, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Today, 09:38 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                                Today, 06:47 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                                Today, 06:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X