Blades breaking in bottom clamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades breaking in bottom clamp

I've been using FD #1 reverse tooth in 1/2" red oak and they keep breaking inside the bottom clamp after a min or two of use. I have the EX-21 and got a new bottom clamp from Ray at Seyco and they are still breaking. I have tried putting the set screw flush on the inside and have also tried having it protrude slightly in the clamp but to no avail. I'm also not over-tightning the thumb screw.

Yesterday I was cutting with an Olsen 2/0 blade for over an hour with no problems. Is there a possibility that it's a problem with these FD blades? Any other ideas or possible causes? Thanks.

I thought I was using the right amount of p[ressure when tightening the clamps but it was still to much. I was amazed at how little pressure is needed to secure the blade and since then I hardly break any blades now. Another cause of breakage is not having the blade in perfect alignment.

Comment

I don't have the Ex 21 saw, but, I would make sure your tension is tight enough. If the blade can flex at all, it could break. Don't know why it would break just at the bottom all the time. It could be bending your blade when you tighten the clamp. I had that happen with my spiral #2/0, because it wasn't flat against the clamp. Good Luck
      PERK

Comment

If I understand correctly the set screws should protrude just a hair into the blade opening on the clamps. Sounds like yours is not. Also remove the set screw and clean and put a drop of "BLUE" locktite so that does not happen again. I had that problem on my EX-21.
        Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
        with a EX-21

Comment

I think a larger blade would be better for 1/2" oak. I use FD-UR #5 when cutting 1/2" oak. Make sure to use a lot of tension.
          AWW

Comment

I agree with Old Wormy. I use a FD #5 or #7 Polar blade on 3/4" wood.
            I did find that I broke a lot less blades if I kept my saw table very slick with wax. Without the wax, when I was making a turn, the wood would drag a little and that put side pressure on the blade and broke it.
            Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
            "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

One of the questions might be where is the blade breaking inside the clamp. Is it right where the blade comes out or near the screw? This might indicate what is causing the problem.

I looked up the blades and the FD #1 Scroll Reverse has 13 tpi and the Olsen 2/0 has either 26 or 28 tpi depending on the exact type. The number of teeth would make a difference in how it cuts.

I have used a lot of the FD blades and never have had a problem. They seem to be very dependable. Of course, it is always possible to have bad blades but I think very unlikely.

You have my sympathy as you work thru the problem. It is such a pain when these things happen and you are trying to solve it instead of working on your project.

Comment

I will have to respectfully disagree with the opinions on using FD#1's in 1/2" oak. I cut a ton of stuff in 1/2" red oak over the last few yrs, a lot of it very intricate and have used the FD #1's very often with no problems. Before I started having these problems in the past few weeks, I don't think I broke a blade in well over a year. There has to be something more to this.

Quartz, the blade appears to be breaking just above the set/thumb screw inside the bottom clamp. What's strange is that I cut a project yesterday using an Olsen 2/0 in 1/4" hard maple and had no problems. Makes me wonder if the blades are the problem. I'm at a complete loss right now and frustrated to say the least.

Comment

I have an EX21 and had bottom clamp problems. Got the new clamp and the new set screws. Those all helped. What really worked well was to put the bottom T-screw on the left side of the clamp and the fixed set screw on the right.
                  Got Moose?

Comment

I have had a problem with blades breaking on the bottom clamp sometimes. I found that when I tighten the set screw, if I'm not careful, the blade will sometimes twist in the holder due to trying to tighten to tightly. Doesn't happen when I am careful though.

Comment

Check out Steve Good's presentation re Round Knobs for the Excalubar, deawalt, delta. Sept.10 2012. Note the end which touchs the blade . It is supposed to swival. If it doesn't, the blade will twist. The end is held in by an O ring. Google,Steve Goods blogspot.
                      Roger

Comment

Was just in the shop and the blades are still breaking after a couple min of use. The whole clamp, set & thumb screws are new. I'm using barely enough tightness to hold the blade in there and they are still breaking. Tried calling Seyco but of course they are closed this week. I've been scrolling almost 4 yrs and this has never happened to me before. I've broken more blades in the past 2 days than my entire time scrolling.

Comment

Give Mike call. He may swap out your remaining blades to see if that will correct the problem.
                          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X