Crow and Raven Patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crow and Raven Patterns

I posted to the beginners board so I wanted to post here also. I am looking for patterns for crows and or ravens. If you know of a good site for thses or birds in general I would appreciate the info! I am new to scrolling and I really enjoy this great resource for info on my latest hobby.

Re: Crow and Raven Patterns

When I'm looking for pictures of something to carve I do a Google search under images

Crows about 160K http://images.google.com/images?q=crow&hl=en

Ravens about 177K http://images.google.com/images?svnu...mp;btnG=Search

Comment

Thanks for replying! I have a lot of pictures and drawings of crows but how do I make those into a scroll saw pattern? Knowing what to take out and leave in is where I have a problem. I have looked for a program made for this but have not found anything yet. Any tips you could give will be appreciated.

Comment

If you are looking to make a portrait, check out Gary Browning's book Scroll Saw Portraits (click on the Fox Chapel link in my signature) He has a chapter on turning a photograph into a pattern for a scroll saw portrail...I'll see if I can find any other sources...

Bob Duncan
        Fox Chapel Publishing
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Isn't it 'Stiller' that has all the patterns of about anything you want? ummmm I think the name is stiller? :

Comment

Has anyone on here ever done the change over from a picture to a scroll saw pattern? Is it difficult? And did it turn out right? thanks!

Comment

I've seen it done, but haven't actually done it my self. It's all about determining negative space and shadows. Gary gives a in-depth description in his book. He has his own website and is very active on-line; We've got a list of all our author's websites at http://www.foxchapelpublishing.com/c...ur_authors.cfm

If I were you, I'd pick up the book and then you have Gary to go back to if you have any questions!

Bob
              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I do it all the time with my carvings. If the pictue is the size I want I use carbon paper and trace it on to the stock, if not, I hand draw it to the size I want. I few times I have enlarged and reduced the size with my computer, but I hate taking my shoes off, going back into the house to mess with pictures.

With scrolling it should be quite easy, you're working 2D to 2D, with carving you go from 2D to 3D.

Comment

Yup - t'aint hard ... it's a lot harder to explain than to do ... just try it a time or two on something simple, you'll surprise yourself!

Comment

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by tgiro01
                      One issue I found with the insert that comes with the saw was the areas they smoothed for the kickback pawls. If the insert is leveled correctly, those areas are sitting about 1/32-inch below the table. I had a problem with some small pieces getting caught and jamming because of that. Sawstop's recommendation...
                      Today, 08:18 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Interesting pallet
                      by Rolf
                      That is a definit rescue for a special project. I rarely get or use any pallet wood. But did use some from the pallet that my drill press was on. It looked like pine but was was very hard, carefully checked for nails and ran it through the drum sander with some 80 grit to get rid of any small grit.
                      Today, 08:16 AM
                    • Quartz43
                      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                      by Quartz43
                      I wish I could post the video as it looks better with the lights blinking. I used some red clear plastic behind the eyes and nose. It was a fun project.
                      Yesterday, 07:29 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Interesting pallet
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Maybe a star shining to tell us something? That piece of wood is a very special piece! Good eye.
                      Yesterday, 07:27 PM
                    • Misouri Wayne
                      Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                      by Misouri Wayne
                      Tough situation. Just have to take it one day at a time.
                      Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                    Working...
                    X