Wish me luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish me luck

Our local woodworking store sent out a mailing that they were having an "ornament contest" so I decided to give it a try. I picked up Diana Thompson's Compound Christmas Ornaments from the Open House and browsed through it for inspiration. Decided on her Guardian Angel for my first attempt at compound cutting. Turned it in yesterday and the judging is on Monday. Most of the entries are turned, a few flat scrolled, but no compound scrolled. Body is mahogany and wings are curly maple. Here's what she ended up looking like . . .
    Attached Files
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Hi Bruce, very nice angel. You have my vote. Steve
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

Comment

Good work! Nice elegant lines...

Chris
      "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

Looks like a winner to me. I have this funny feeling that you will take first. Very nice. Good luck.
        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Hi Bruce, I think she turned out real nice. Did you enjoy the compound cutting. I think it's a lot of fun, I especially like the look on people's faces when you tell them it was cut on a scroll saw, they can't quite comprehend how.
          Good luck in the contest, she looks like a winner to me
          Marsha
          LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

It's definitely a winner in my book!

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Very nice, Bruce. That deserves a prize for sure ... how come my attempts at compound cutting end up in the firewood bin ... grr!

My only small success was a small 3D reindeer - it actually worked - till I handed it to Sue to look at and she snapped an antler off!
              Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Nice job on the Angel Bruce and best of luck to you!
                Kevin
                Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

hang on a cotton picking moment..............where have i heard the word's bruce and angel before........................aaah thats it jim carey "the almighty bruce". it's not you bruce/jim? is it?

kevin/pitbull
                  kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Very nice! I recently gave compound sawing a try and I love it!
                    Best of luck on the contest.
                    Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

OK, I can see how you did the body, but the wings??? Very cool.

It's a great piece, and I hope it knocks the judges right out!

Pete

Comment

LUCK!

Nice job Bruce, I fail miserably at compund cutting.........
                        ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

The Gilded Holiday Angel

Bruce.

Nice work, keep it up.

I happened to have worked with Diane on that angel article; I did the finishing with gold and silver leaf. The article appeared in the SSW fall issue in 2002.

There were also easy to follow instructions on how I gilded the angel. Gilding is actually easy to do, and is not really expensive if you buy the composition leaf.

I thought I would post and share the photo to show you what the gilded finished angel actually looked liked.

Mac
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Marsha
                            Did you enjoy the compound cutting. I think it's a lot of fun, I especially like the look on people's faces when you tell them it was cut on a scroll saw, they can't quite comprehend how.
                            Yes, Marsha, it does seem to baffle them. This was my first try at compound cutting and it was an enjoyable change. I was pleased with the way she came out. A very simple design, yet elegant looking . . . just the combination I'm hoping will wow the judges.
                            Bruce
                            visit sometime
                            Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Originally posted by PeteB
                              OK, I can see how you did the body, but the wings???
                              Pete, most of the compound patterns are a side view and front view. With the wings, it's a top view and front view. The curvature added a nice touch to the design.
                              Bruce
                              visit sometime
                              Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X