Nativity Intarsia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nativity Intarsia

I made this back in early December, and used the patterns from Issue 29, Holiday 2007. I drew up the sitting sheep and standing camels to add some variation. I also designed my own stable and put a light inside. I was going to make a fancy 3D intarsia stable but my mom insisted on a rustic-looking stable, so I went with that. Overall, I loved the way it turned out!

DSC_00302.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_00382.jpg
    Check out my blog and see my creations! scrollbench.com

Check out my Etsy shop here!

You did a nice job and I like the rustic (appropriate) look of the stable. I make one similar to that but I add some moss on the roof and around the base.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Walls,
      That really came out great. The stable was the right choice. I would love to see the detail on one of the camels, they look like a really nice design.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Fantastic job on that project Walls, it should make the rounds as a family heirloom quiet nicely.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Wowser! I'll bet your Mom is your biggest fan!!! (miss my Mom). Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Wow that is beautiful. congratulations on your fine work
            Bill

DEWALT 788 and Hegner 18vs..... AND STILL CUTTIN IT UP!!!!

Member of Scrollsaw Association of the World

Comment

The stable sets off the beautiful shaping & colors of the finished pieces.

Great layout & wonderful job!
              The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

I'm with Rolf, can we get some more info on the camels. The wood used with them is perfect but hard to tell what wood it is. You have a family heirloom there as it turned out awesome.
                Did you do backers for the pieces? Just curious because I have been wanting to do this set and thought I would just CA glue them up and sand the backs nice and then put a finish on both sides.

Comment

I think that is one of the nicest ones I've seen!
                  Brenda

Brenda's Blog (This is a little bit of everything, Scrapbooking, Crocheting, Crafting, Wood Crafting)

Brenda's Gallery

"If you are not always busy something is wrong!"

Comment

Hi Walls - that's a lovely work which is sure to be treasured for many Christmas's to come. Thumbs up to your mum for her choice of stable too.
                    You both done good!
                    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                    - Albert Einstein

Comment

I've gotta find that issue. Have yet to build first intarsia project yet, but would love to do that by next Christmas.
                      Steve in Richmond, VA with a DW-788

Comment

very nice. i have a set i hang on my tree. made by my sister scrlling grandma, she was my sceret santa kast year
                        Tricia

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback! My mom is definitely my biggest fan! As for the camels, I used sycamore wood. Being at school, I can't get close-ups of them right now. I used my pyrography pen to detail the hair on the camel hump as well as the eyes/other details on the pieces. Also, I didn't use backer pieces. I just glued the pieces together using regular wood glue and sanded the backs, finishing both sides. They are really sturdy too!

Comment

Walls, I checked out your blog but the dark brown back drop makes it difficult to read your messages. Overall I like it but I want to make a suggestion (could you change the brown to a lighter shade)

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by campasano View Post
                              Walls, I checked out your blog but the dark brown back drop makes it difficult to read your messages. Overall I like it but I want to make a suggestion (could you change the brown to a lighter shade)

Mike

Thanks for the feedback Mike! Is this what the site looked like for you?
                              Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 12.08.37 AM.jpg

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X