Recommended Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Books

Can someone recommend books and/or certain authors to teach scroll sawing to beginners. There seem to be a lot out there I just wanted to hear some opinions before buying. These will be for my wife for Christmas.

Re: Recommended Books

I don't know much about scroll sawing or the authors on teaching. I was in a woodcraft shop last night and they teach scroll sawing, carving, woodturning and sharpening. You can check your area to see if there is a Woodcraft store. The person I talked to said that all of the Woodcraft stores teach these classes, they should have schedules. They also have a large selection of books.

Comment

One of the best books is 'Scroll Saw Workbook' by John Nelson.
      I had many good testimonials from people who bought the book. You can buy it direct from Fox Chapel or at most book stores. Many wood working stores also sell it.
      Why not get her also a sample pack of 5 dozen blades and save $ 3.00. Check the 'accessory' page on www.mikesworkshop.com.

Mike M
      SD Mike

Comment

I really like that book too! I'm in the process of working my way through it right now! I'd suggest it and also suggest that your follow John's advice and not try to go on to advanced projects until you are good at doing the simple ones!! I learned the hard way and have a butterfly with only one antenna and half a wing...I wasn't even that sadistic as a child!

Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
          Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
          by will8989
          Our feed belt keeps moving but Bruce did adjust it the other day when I was done and this is the first time I’ve used it. It kept getting louder so I bet that’s it or it just isn’t tight. Will check it in the morning. Thanks.
          Yesterday, 11:26 PM
        • Rolf
          by Rolf
          Betty is the feed belt centered? Do you hear it when the drum is spinning or when just the feed belt is on?
          I have had the sanding belt stretch, they do that over time, and there was enough hanging out to just kiss the table.
          Yesterday, 03:30 PM
        • Bill Wilson
          Reply to Winter issue
          by Bill Wilson
          I got mine the other day. Also noticed a dearth of Christmas themed projects. I don't recall seeing much Christmas stuff in the Fall issue either. I look forward to new ornament ideas, but those were lacking this year.

I do understand some of the constraints in publishing a magazine these...
          Yesterday, 02:49 PM
        • Bill Wilson
          by Bill Wilson
          Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
          Yesterday, 02:13 PM
        • will8989
          by will8989
          Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
          Yesterday, 01:57 PM
        Working...
        X