Portrait Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portrait Questions

I am doing my first portrait and realized I never thought further than the pattern. For you portrait cutters out there....
    1. What kind of finish do you use on the BB?
    2. Do you use felt as the backing or paint a piece black as the backer?
    3. Do you put glass in front of the framed portrait?
    4. If yes, where do you find frames that fit the thickness needed.
    You assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Hey Dan.,
    I have done a few portraits,I usually use semi-gloss deft for my finish on my portraits,I have heard others use BOL/MS as theirs, thats a personal choice.
    I usually use black matboard for my backer board.I use glass with the picture frame I think it keeps out some of the dust but you don't have to.
    I usually buy my frames at Hobby Lobby or Walmart(cheap).
    I hope I answered your questions I am sure there will be others that will share their tecqniques.
    Bill
    Last edited by bronco; 11-30-2006, 11:00 AM.
    Delta P-20

Comment

Hi Dan,

I also use spray semi gloss Deft on my portraits. For a backing, I use black acrylic aka plexi glass. I and my customers like the looks of it. I have never framed a portrait. If I put my portraits in a frame I would have to charge more and people around here try and get by as cheap as they can. I've never had a compaint yet. However, I do think the ones others have done complete with a frame, look awful nice.
      Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

I have made a lot of portraits in 1/8" BB and always framed them. I used to make my own frames but found it wasn't worth the time compared to solid oak ones on sale in lots of 25 at Walmart when they go on sale for a few dollars each..
        With my shop made frames I didn't use glass so I finished those with a few coats of lacquer and use 1/8" flat black painted luan plywood (door skins) for backers . For the ones in Walmart frames I use black felt for backers . My wife is a quilter and gets it by the yard. I don't use any finish at all if it is covered with glass.
        The reason I used black luan plywood on the ones with no glass is that it can be dusted when necessary but if I were to use felt with those it would be hard to get the dust out of them.
        W.Y.
        http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

OK, one at a time.
          Finish - If solid wood or an oak or similar ply I use Danish oil and a few coats of Deft Semi-gloss. If BB, I use just the deft spray.
          Frames - I make most of my own frames as it is a selling point. I don't use glass (most of the time). Around here, AC Moore has frames that are sufficiently deep for the portrait and glass.
          Backer - I've used felt, matboard, velvet, painted plywood, ebonized mahogany (long story), scrap booking paper, fabric (gotta luv dollar a yard fabric sales), and contrasting wood. All depends on the piece.
          Kevin
          Scrollsaw Patterns Online
          Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Dan,
            Still cutting my teeth on portraits
            I use BB, Cherry ply or Red Oak ply depending on the piece . I use spray Deft semi and sometimes on the cherry or oak I will ( lightly ) use Minwax spray Golden Pecan ....again depending on the piece/preference. My next experiment will be dipping in BLO
            Frames I get at yard sales, the dollar store or wally-world ( $2-$5 ), always looking for the deep rabbets. I leave the glass in.
            For backers I use a trick ozarkhillbilly taught me .....felt glued directly ( spray craft glue ) to the backer that comes with the picture frame and then trimmed to fit. Felt squares can be bought very cheaply
            Hope this helps
            ...~Robert~
            DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Geees, forgot my favorite backer for 8 X 10's. "Foamies" (yes, that's the name). Available in all kinds of colors including black for any craft shop and the craft section at wally-world.
              Kevin
              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I use MPD board as my backer and paint it with whatever color I want to go- I have use felt and material when the need arose-- glittered materal is awsome in a night scene-- and I just brush polyurthanene on the portrat. I like to brush because I have my shop in my home and so much sawdust the spray does do anything but make me giggle -- besides I did use it once on a dragon and the darn dragon turned white-but I buy frames at the dollar tree ( well Tony picks them up for me _ and I take the glass out and it fits in reall nice.I have thought about putting the glass over it but I was told the openness of it made it look better.
                Sharon

Comment

Thanks for your help. I knew I would get a lot of good suggestions.
                  Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                    Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                    by jim_mex
                    Betty - Norma is 5ft 1", her sister who lives next door and often eats with us is 5ft 3". Their father who is recovering from recent knee surgery and staying with us at the moment is also about 5ft 3". I'm almost 5ft 11". You see my dilema!

As to high cupboards. Making...
                    Today, 09:44 AM
                  • jim_mex
                    Reply to Turning to something new
                    by jim_mex
                    Thanks Tony for the safety advice. Being one eyed these days I am definitely going to be taking extra care to wear suitable face protection. As to the safety videos, yes, I've already checked out several and pulled up a lot of very useful information. Whilst I've never turned wood before as a practising...
                    Today, 08:39 AM
                  • tgiro01
                    Reply to Turning to something new
                    by tgiro01
                    Betty - yes my design. I'm editing the video I made while making the feature ring.

Jim - I know I'm preaching to a member of the choir, but, please watch some of the Youtube videos on wood turning safety. There's a dozen or so of them out there. There are three words you'll hear a lot --...
                    Today, 08:12 AM
                  • jim_mex
                    Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                    by jim_mex
                    Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
                    Today, 12:25 AM
                  • keystonecop
                    Bread and Cheese..
                    by keystonecop
                    ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
                    Today, 12:08 AM
                  Working...
                  X