Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mick Walker
    replied
    Mike, I believe they use exterior, waterproof glue on the Finnish BB. Don't know how that would affect the quality of the wood though.

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    replied
    I understand the only difference between BB and Finnish is that the BB is near perfect 1 side and both sides are good on the Finnish.

What I'm doing for my ornaments now, to alleviate the pulling problem, is putting a piece of heavy card stock paper on top and taping over the top of that and around the edges of the layers of BB. I then spray the pattern and stick that to the heavy paper. When I'm done, I remove the tape from the sides and the pattern falls off. Works great.

Leave a comment:

• earlinjax
    replied
    I had a lot of problems with a project I was working on and thought it might be just a bad piece of 1/8 BB. I asked in another thread about Finnish Birch and didn't get the responses I was hoping for.
    Mick, you said you have less problem with Finnish. Anyone else out there have experience with the Finnish Ply? Guess what I am looking for is what is the best available.

EarlinJax

Leave a comment:

• Mick Walker
    replied
    I found the purple tape at Wal-Mart. I use Finnish BB plywood and have never had a problem with splinters.

Leave a comment:

• owler
    replied
    Clear contact paper has been working for me and is cheaper.

I have looked for the purple tape in Lowes and Home Depot and can't find it.

Leave a comment:

• BobD
    replied
    As far as stinky solvents...I've started using Goo Gone; it's relatively inexpensive, comes in a spray bottle (which makes application simple) and smells of oranges.

I also use clear packaging tape on my Baltic birch...with a blast of Goo Gone, it's gone!

Bob

Leave a comment:

• ozarkhillbilly
    replied
    Those slivers and tearout where one of the main reasons I quit using the tape and went with spraying my pattern with adhesive then applying directly to the wood. Like its been mentioned a little bit of mineral spirits and up it comes. There are many different thoughts of school on this subject too.

Here is a link to a previous thread........http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7520

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    I know this subject pops up periodicaly I gave up blue tape for the clear contact brand contact paper. Cheap, just enough sticky, doesnt damage the wood, no stinky solvents. Bonus you can cover a large are with one piece.
    Did I mention cheap.

Leave a comment:

• Daryl185
    replied
    my 2 cents I quit using tape on my wood as it seemed kinda redundant I just spray the backs of my patterns with glue wait 15 sec and apply when its time to remove it I just spray or brush on some mineral spirits and off comes the paper with very little glue residue left on the wood

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    You might try zapping the wood and tape in the microwave for 10 seconds or so to soften up the glue.

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    replied
    Great. I've still got 2 new rolls of 2" blue on hand. I've never been real happy with the blue. Even with the 1/4" BB I've had to lightly sand after pulling the tape off. I'll definitely remember this different color. Thanks guys.

BTW, this was some tough tape to find online. I did find a couple sources and they refer to it as low tack faux tape, not painter's tape.
    Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 11-21-2006, 10:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S WI
    replied
    Bill is right. I have started using the Purple with very good results. Once Blue is gone I will be sticking with the Purple. ~Paul

Leave a comment:

• William Young (SE BC)
    replied
    Mike;
    Use the 2" wide purple (mauve) tape . It has the least adhesion of all the masking tapes and will not cause that problem yet it still sticks enough to hold through out the cutting.
    I have used it for years and just picked up a couple more rolls when I made a trip to USA yesterday. It costs a little more but is well worth the difference.
    W.Y.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S WI
    replied
    Mike - when I start to notice that problem I dab just a little mineral spirits on and after a 15 seconds or so tape comes off with no problem. ~Paul

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    replied
    Thanks Tony, I'll try your ideas. Luckily, I was only stack cutting some fairly simple ornaments so not much was wasted.

BTW, with your knowledge, you should come out of hiding more often.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X